Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Dick H

Tokyo's Colorful Trains

Here are a few of the dozens and dozens of different styles and colors of trains you can see in Tokyo. KEIKYU (Keihin Kyuko Railway) KEIO Electric Railway KEISEI Electric Railway TOKYU (Tokyo Express Railway) SEIBU Railway TOBU Electric Railway TOYO Rapid...
  2. Dick H

Tokyo's Colorful Trains

Here are a few of the dozens and dozens of different styles and colors of trains you can see in Tokyo. KEIKYU (Keihin Kyuko Railway) KEIO Electric Railway KEISEI Electric Railway TOKYU (Tokyo Express Railway) SEIBU Railway TOBU Electric Railway TOYO Rapid Railway (Tozai subway...
  3. Dick H

Changing of the Guard

In Tokyo, when a train is about to enter a subway, it is almost a formal ceremony as the drivers exchange salutes. Here, at Wacoshi, a Yurakucho subway train is about to enter the subway. The Tobu Railway driver is exiting the cab and receives a salute from the waiting Tokyo Metro driver.
  4. Dick H

Unique Rail Pass

This is one of the two most unusual and spectacular transport trips in Japan. Rail fans visiting Japan should be sure to buy an Odakyu Railway's "Hakone Free Pass". Not free, but certainly a bargain. It is good for two days with unlimited riding on seven types of transport, including a...
  5. Dick H

27 subways in the Tokyo megalopolis

We are told by the Japanese there are only 2 "official" subway systems in Tokyo; Tokyo Metro with 9 subways and TOEI (city system) with 4 subways. Since a subway is an underground railway with stations, there are 9 more in the city that fit that definition and 5 more in the Tokyo megalopolis...
  6. Dick H

Manual Turntable

We've all hears of turntables, but what do you do when you don't have one? The Iyo Railway in Matsuyama, Japan has a rather ingenious solution. I call it a man-table. Here's how it works. A train heads toward the terminus at Dogo Onsen. 1) The train stops just before the switch...
  7. Dick H

39 dead in Chinese "Shinkansen" crash

Disgraceful! Read the following article and comments from another group. I have not seen anything about this on American TV. Have you? http://www.timesofoman.com/innercat.asp?detail=48205&rand= So it looks like BOTH a CRH2 and CRH1.. I think it seems to strongly imply that it was a...
  8. Dick H

Lunch near Tokyo subway stations

While this is not directly a rail subject, it is closely related and some may actually find it useful on a subsequent trip. On my last trip to Tokyo I found two great places for lunch, both near subway stations. One is an atypical, small, low-price place. The other is very luxurious, but not...
  9. Dick H

Shinkansen stop at FUKUYAMA

While on the Shinkansen, (Hikari going from Shin Osaka to Hiroshima), I stopped at Fukuyama to shoot the castle there. I had read that it was close to the UP platform and it is. There was about 20 minutes between Hikaris so I had plenty of time to cross over to the UP platform, make many shots...
  10. Dick H

Kintetsu Safety Barrier

Nice design of a barrier to keep passengers from falling between cars. Seen at Kintetsu's YAMATO-SAIDAIJI station, Nara, Japan. Kintetsu (the Kinki Nippon Tetsudo) is Japan's largest private railway.
  11. Dick H

Busy, busy Shinagawa station

Last month I spent a few minutes at 07:30 one morning at a crossing just south of Shinagawa station in Tokyo. In the 20 minutes I was there, I saw about 25 trains. Here are some of the variety to be seen there. This is only the Keihin Kyuko private Ry. Also at Shinagawa station are the JR...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)