Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Beverlyhelper

Buying a new scanner - help needed

Buying a Scanner Advice There's a great Yahoo Group, Railscan, which has had a lot of traffic recently on antennas. Worth joining and looking through back messages. Also lots of recommendations on scanners to buy.
  2. Beverlyhelper

Seattle's King Street Station restoration

That is one beautiful rehabilitation!!! Wish I was still in the area to see it. My father and I went there many times in the 50's and while the architectural features were still there, it was never so clean! :) Congrats to all on a job very well done.
  3. Beverlyhelper

Kirkland WA Corridor

http://crosscut.com/2012/12/13/transportation/111952/king-county-gets-rail-business/
  4. Beverlyhelper

Olympia Branch Operations

Figuring out Olympia track Get registered with the Olympia library, then delve into their old maps department on line. That will show you the entire railroad history of the city.
  5. Beverlyhelper

Diesel Cab Comparisons and Qualifying

1. Would C/E's comment on the differences between modern locomotive cabs of different models (GE vs EMD) and between the same locomotive and different railroads. Amenities, comfort, ergonomics of reaching controls, toilets, etc? I know there are options railroads can add onto their orders, and...
  6. Beverlyhelper

Why difference in ride? (Track quality)

Everybody do the harmonic rock! Back in the 80's on the UP, 18mph-23mph was the range we had to stay out of with bulkhead or center beam empty cars to avoid harmonic rocking. I remember climbing up the Deschutes Canyon on the UP local with a bunch of empty bulkheads and keeping a sharp eye...
  7. Beverlyhelper

Railroads with Hertiage Paint Schemes

Railroad Heritage Schemes Pan Am (Guilford) has painted two GPs in Maine Central and Boston and Maine colors. More may be coming. http://finance.groups.yahoo.com/group/heritagelocomotives/message/10247
  8. Beverlyhelper

Amtrak to propose $7 billion overhaul at Washington DC Union Station

Washington Station Redevelopment Well, dreams are all well and good. Glad they're looking out into the future in terms of capacity loads.
  9. Beverlyhelper

Vermont Hot Spots

Well, thank you for that info! As a recent emigrant to Portland ME this is most helpful. Anyone want to chip in on information for NH? :D
  10. Beverlyhelper

Right of way between Ritzville and Schrag

Schrag to Ritzville Something's niggling in the back of my memory that this was grading for a planned cutoff from Ritzville to Ellensburg, but the plan was abandoned before much got done. Jim Frederickson would probably know for sure.
  11. Beverlyhelper

BNSF OCS in Vancouver

OCS Vancouver I'd be guessing that little blip down by Portland.:cool:
  12. Beverlyhelper

ALCO Museum

This is interesting news! http://www.timesunion.com/local/article/Train-heritage-museum-revives-bygone-era-3623688.php?t=378164b1fc -dmg
  13. Beverlyhelper

maine narrow gauge yard office

Can anyone direct me to photographs of Maine narrow gauge railroad yard offices in the 1900-1920 period? We're reassembling a display at the Maine Narrow Gauge Railroad and I'm looking for photo documentation that can help guide our interpretation. Thanks! Feel free to respond to me off-list...
  14. Beverlyhelper

Help bring MILW 5057 back to Washington!

Crossing Yakima River Plank the bridge, flag across it. No big deal. Big problem comes west of there, where additional fill would need to be added to accommodate both train and trail. It's a wetlands and we all know what that means in terms of permitting. :(
  15. Beverlyhelper

Help bring MILW 5057 back to Washington!

CRF, Milwaukee and BNSF Linkage Actually, Brian, the link between the BNSF and the former Milwaukee line can be made at Bullfrog, 4 miles west of SCE. CRF had extensive discussions with Washington State Parks about rebuilding the line west from SCE to Bullfrog. Big question is getting...
  16. Beverlyhelper

Wenatchee Washington Radio Feed

New radio feeds Wish you'd get some coverage of Stampede Pass and Yakima Sub! It would be nice to have an alternative to the Bristol feed.
  17. Beverlyhelper

"Dead Blocks" - How Dead Can a Mainline Get?

Try out the Stampede Pass sub of the BNSF if you want true suffering. Though traffic is getting better these days. Back in the late 80's I used to drive between Reno and Klamath Falls a lot along the Modoc Line, and if you found a train, you followed it, because there might not be another one...
  18. Beverlyhelper

old stevens pass route and original Cascade Tunnel

Stevens Pass and Trains Magazine Which issue was this article in? I don't subscribe anymore, so have to rely on handouts from friends. And, yes, Stampede Tunnel could be enlarged to accommodate double-stacks, and re-electrification of Stevens could be an easier solution. Electrics could be...
  19. Beverlyhelper

Milwaukee road trestle in Tacoma.

Tacoma Milwaukee RR Trestle Contact Russell Holter at the Washington Dept of Archaeology and Historic Preservation. russell.holter@dahp.wa.gov. He co-authored a book on the Tacoma Eastern and is one of the better historical resources for the line, including that trestle.
  20. Beverlyhelper

Bridge tenders in the PNW?

Bridge Tenders You got that right. I've done both - fire lookout in Idaho and railroad bridge tending. Got a lot of reading done!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)