Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. stlgevo51

Chasing the Monongahela Through Illinois Cornfields

It's been a while since I've posted photos on here, so I'm behind. I won't post all of my recent stuff, but feel free to go to my Flickr page to check out photos of NS and Amtrak heritage units, a plane-railfan flight, and BNSF at Essex, MT. However, I will post one of the best heritage unit...
  2. stlgevo51

Two Months of Photos

I have been busy and haven't had a lot of time as of late to upload, so now that I have some free time I will just share all of my recent stuff at once. The first is from early December when one of only 4 Conrail painted SD50s made its way to St. Louis. I caught it on St. Louis-Wentzville, MO...
  3. stlgevo51

Recent Stuff

Hi all, I haven't posted much lately as I have been busy. Since I have a lot of shots not yet posted here I thought I might as well show them now. First up are shots from my trip to Louisville, KY, way back in October. RJ's Cool Display by stlgevo51, on Flickr NKP Heritage Buried in...
  4. stlgevo51

Heritage Units, a Canadian Visitor, and the Nebraska Zephyr

I've been busy lately so I haven't posted here a lot. To catch up I will share some of my catches from the last 30 days. I will first start with Pacific, MO, Railroad Days, featuring UP 1982. The Mopac was in town because the city was being added to the "TrainTown USA" registry. I missed some...
  5. stlgevo51

Chasing NKP 765 and Two Heritage Units

On Thursday, September 6th, NKP 765 arrived at the yard in Berkeley, MO, with NS 1070 and NS 1072 (the Wabash and Illinois Terminal heritage units) for a weekend of employee appreciation specials. Each day, the NKP 765 would lead the train 20 miles to St. Charles at 9 am and noon, and the...
  6. stlgevo51

Prime Mover Changouts

About two months ago, CNW 8646 had its engine changed out down in Texas. That got me thinking: How often do railroads change out prime movers? Do they base it off of mileage or hours, or something completely different? I heard that Amtrak's F40PHs had 2-3 million miles on them when retired, so...
  7. stlgevo51

NKP 765: The Appetizer

Yesterday, my dad needed someone to take him to the airport. Knowing that the NKP 765 was coming into town to Berkeley, right next to the airport, I easily accepted. A few hours before the flight we headed to Berkeley Yard, where the 765 had just arrived, to see if it was visible. When we pulled...
  8. stlgevo51

Of Capitols and Heritage Units

Last weekend I got to do some railfanning in Missouri's capital: Jefferson City. I tried for the famous Capitol building shot, but I mostly got clouds. The sun popped out briefly for one shot though. The UP grain train had a fire-shooting Gevo, but unfortunately it didn't shoot fire for the...
  9. stlgevo51

Chasing NS 1067-Reading Heritage

Yesterday around 9 pm I got confirmation that NS 1067, the Reading heritage unit, would be coming east on train 111. The only problem was that it was 3rd in a consist of 6 units. Usually 111 works the yard in Wentzville, MO, about 30 miles east of St. Louis, around 5 or 6 am. Since I live pretty...
  10. stlgevo51

Celebrating UP's 150th with Railfanning

Sunday, July 1, 2012, was Uncle Pete's 150th birthday. Is there a better way to celebrate this historic mark than with railfanning? I thought not, so I journeyed to the Chester Sub south of St. Louis to try out a few new locations. The previous day I'd gone south to track down NS's OCS, only...
  11. stlgevo51

Katy, Cotton Belt, and More

Here are some shots from the last few weeks. First up is a short trip to the Hannibal Sub north of St. Louis. The sun was high, but I still got a few shots, including one I've wanted for a while. Great View by stlgevo51, on Flickr Coal and Corn by stlgevo51, on Flickr Empty Ore by...
  12. stlgevo51

Kansas City Memorial Day Weekend

On Memorial Day weekend, we took a trip to Kansas City for a productive railfanning weekend. As always, KC didn't disappoint, and I saw tons of action on the KCT trackage near Union Station. Though I didn't get away from KCUS much, I still had tons of fun shooting from the Freight House Bridge...
  13. stlgevo51

SD40Ns and a New FTRL Switcher

On Thursday, I set out early with hopes of catching original NS heritage unit 8114, which was rumored to possibly go out on 32Q to Decatur around 8 am. Apparently, the unit went out on 319 to Louisville the night before. Plus, I missed the UP local with a patched Cotton Belt GP60 because of UP's...
  14. stlgevo51

National Train Day Shots

Last Saturday, I did a little railfanning for National Train Day. Here are the shots: The museum of Transportation's oldest locomotive, the Daniel Nason, celebrated its 153rd birthday. In the background is ATSF 5011, class unit for one of the greatest steam locomotive classes in history...
  15. stlgevo51

Amtrak 145 and Cool UP Locomotives

On Saturday, I stumbled upon some info (by using a bit of good luck) that Amtrak's Phase III heritage engine was on the westbound Missouri River Runner #313 after coming in from KC on train #314 earlier in the day. Without much time I headed out in hopes of catching the train at Pacific. I had...
  16. stlgevo51

Windmill Blades and the Ocean View

Disclaimer, these shots aren't very good! On the Saturday before Easter, I made my way to Kirkwood to catch Amtrak's only great dome, Ocean View, running on the Missouri River Runner for a week. I didn't get any shots of it in sun, but it still was cool to see. Also included is a coal drag...
  17. stlgevo51

Some "Real" SP Heritage

On Monday, I made a short day trip to the Chester Sub in southwestern Illinois. Traffic was heavy as many trains made their way up and down the line. The prize of the trip was coal train CWEAF 30 (destined for Cora Dock) with patched Southern Pacific AC4400CW #6262 and unpatched relative #266...
  18. stlgevo51

Chasing UP 844 and the Shiloh Limited

On Tuesday, March 27th, Sonny Sellers and I headed west to Waverly, MO, to begin our 200 mile chase of UP 844. The northern was powering the Shiloh Limited, hauling cannons and actors to the 150th anniversary reenactment of the battle of Shiloh. The chase was good overall, and I'm pretty happy...
  19. stlgevo51

A Warm Winter Day

Saturday was a nice day to get out to take some photos. A slow beginning turned into a busy ending as the afternoon went on. I saw a lot more trains than I was able to shoot, but we scouted out some new areas that I will get back to in the future. First, 2 KCS end cabs pull stored SD40-2s out...
  20. stlgevo51

Some Interesting Stuff

On Saturday, I had a couple of hours to kill. What better way to spend the free time than go hunting for some rare engines? Specifically, I was hoping to catch a glimpse of the new Gorges Creek Railway "Western Maryland" engines. I knew that I couldn't get shots, but at least I could see them at...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)