Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. R

The Railways of the Channel Islands

Part 1 - Alderney There was a short industrial railway on Alderney which has since become a tourist attraction on the island carrying passengers in two 1959 London underground carriages. http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/07/06/the-channel-islands-part-1-alderney
  2. R

The Co. Donegal Railways

My wife and I were due to spend a couple of weeks walking in Co. Donegal in April and May 2020. Instead, we remained at home in Ashton-under-Lyne, continuing to do the jobs we love! I would have been writing a blog about our journeys and walks but instead I have started a series about the...
  3. R

Gloucester Docks (UK) and their Railways

Neil Parkhouse, in one of his fantastic collections of colour photographs from the last decades of steam in Gloucestershire (British Railway History in Colour) focusses on the Midland lines serving the docks, specifically three lines in the area - the Tuffley Loop; the High Orchard Branch; and...
  4. R

The Cornwall (UK) Minerals Railway

This post results from reading Issue No. 30 of the "Railway Archive" Journal. It contains an article about the locomotives originally purchased for the Cornwall Minerals Railway. That company dramatically over-ordered motive power and when its lease was taken over by the GWR, 50% of its original...
  5. R

The Cheltenham & Gloucester Tramroad

After spending a bit of time reading Neil Parkhouse's recent series on the railways of Gloucester - entitled "British Railway History in Colour" and published by The Lightmoor Press, I have stared looking at the ancient tramroad which served Gloucester Docks and Cheltenham and Leckhampton Hill...
  6. R

Neil Parkhouse: British Railway History

I have just finished reading the fourth book of five so far published in this series by Neil Parkhouse. I have quite a library of Railway Books and the books in this series are among the best I have, alongside a number from the same publisher, Lightmoor Press. ...
  7. R

Colette Hooper: Railways of the Great War

Recently, I picked up a new copy of this book for less than I would have been charged for a railway magazine at the newsagent. I have been enjoying reading it. .......... This is a short review. ....... http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/03/30/railways-of-the-great-war-book-review
  8. R

Iran Railways

This is the first of what I hope will be a few articles about the Railways of Iran. It focusses on the first line built between Tehran and Rey and operating from 1888 to around 1960-61. http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/03/23/railways-in-iran-part-1-tehran-to-rey-1888
  9. R

Lancaster Green Ayre Railway Station in the UK

Lancaster had three railway stations. It now only has one. The article below considers all three stations before focussing on the Midland Station at Green Ayre. ... http://rogerfarnworth.com/2020/02/28/lancaster-green-ayre-railway-station
  10. R

The Garstang to Knott End Railway in the UK

In January 2020, my wife and I stayed, once again, to the Southeast of the City of Lancaster and explored the area between the Line estuary and the Wyre estuary. It is a superb area for watching overwintering birds! It gave me another opportunity to look at railways in the area. After a visit...
  11. R

Unusual Locomotive and Railcars

All around our world different engineers designed vehicles which seemingly suited the circumstances with which they were dealing. Across the British railway network, and particularly on some of the light railways which sprang to life after the Light Railways Act 1896, there were a number of...
  12. R

Horwich Locomotive Works in the UK

For a number of years in the 1920s and possibly also the 1930s my grandfather worked as a blacksmith in Horwich Loco Works. The works have always, as a result, had a specific interest for me. It has been somewhat saddening over the years to see their gradual deterioration and eventual closure...
  13. R

British Railways in 1948

I have recently purchased the six copies of The Railway Magazine which were issued in 1948. The first of these coincides with the formation of British Railways, and the January/February 1948 issue of the magazine highlights for the readers a little of the history of railways in Britain which led...
  14. R

Glasson Dock, UK

In early November 2019, my wife and I spent a week or so staying just to the Southwest of Lancaster. During our time there we walked along much of the old Glasson Dock Branch which is now a cycleway alongside the River Lune. We were fortunate with the weather! The linked article below describes...
  15. R

The Tanat Valley Light Railway

In August 2019 my wife and I belatedly celebrated our 20th wedding anniversary by having a few days away. We chose to stay West of Llanymynech in the Welsh Borders. While we were there we travelled the length of the Tanat Valley, following as closely as we could the route of the old Light...
  16. R

Abandoned Railways and Cyclepaths in the UK.

The Guardian carried an article on 31st August 2019 about old rail routes being used as cycleways. It suggested the 10 best routes where old railway formations are in use as cycleways. Theirs is not the only list of routes which seeks to provide a "Top Ten." I have pulled together a few...
  17. R

Skelton Junction in the UK

What makes a good post? I am not exactly sure. Many of mine are somewhat self-indulgent. I see something I want to investigate and I write about it. ... There are older threads about Skelton Junction and surrounding lines on www.railforums.co.uk which I reference towards the end of this post...
  18. R

Slovenia

I have just picked up a copy of Global Railway Review. The July 2019 issue. The feature article focusses on infrastructure in Slovenia. It can also be found on line (https://www.globalrailwayreview.com/...re-investments). Jo, my wife, and I travelled to Slovenia in 2006 and stayed in Bled...
  19. R

British Railways Standard Locomotives

1951 was the year of the Standard Steam Locomotive. The Railway Magazine of the time focussed on the development of these locos. Rather than just looking backwards to those days, it is good to listen to and read things from the perspective of the time...
  20. R

Westward Ho!

An independent standard-gauge line with no direct connection into the wider network. ....... The first section of the line was completed in 1901, the full line finished in 1908. All of the track and rolling stock were requisitioned during the war and the railway closed in 1917. The materials...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)