Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. B_Kosanda

The Last Unpatched SP C44-9W?

I was surprised to catch this Southern Pacific loco on the UP Chester Sub in Illinois. I thought they were long gone, but I guess there are still a few pulling coal trains. Nice move putting it on the point. Bill
  2. B_Kosanda

BNSF Southern Transcon Visit

I decided to head out to the BNSF Transcon in Missouri yesterday. It takes about 3 hours to get there, so I left home around 3:30 am and arrived in Bucklin, MO around 6:30, just prior to the sun coming up. With Egg McMuffin and coffee in hand all I had to do was wait for the trains to appear...
  3. B_Kosanda

Lots of Trains

Train traffic seems to be heavy right now. Here's a few from this weekend. Hannibal subdivision in Missouri. #1 and #2 - Norfolk Southern has trackage rights on the Hannibal sub. This train is at Dalbow Road in O'Fallon, MO #3 - Westbound grain train at Old Monroe. #4 - West bound...
  4. B_Kosanda

Reflections at Dalbow Road

The recent flooding is still having an impact on many areas near the Mississippi River. This road was closed only a few weeks ago. It occurred to me that these shots from this morning have a common theme. All were taken at Dalbow Road on the BNSF Hannibal Sub in O'Fallon, Missouri. Bill
  5. B_Kosanda

A few from Illinois and Missouri

Here's a few of the best from the last couple weeks. The weather is remarkably nice for this time of year. #1 - From the Chester Sub in Illinois, a northbound train at Fountain, IL #2 - The Western Pacific heritage loco at Lake Mordock in Illinois. #3 - Same Train at Lake Mordock. #4 -...
  6. B_Kosanda

BNSF Transcon Visit

The BNSF southern Transcon slices across Missouri diagonally from Kansas City to the northeast corner of the state. I visited the Marceline Sub in north central Missouri yesterday. The area around Marceline, Bucklin and LaPlata is beautiful country. This is all double track with trains...
  7. B_Kosanda

The Fog Just Would Not Let Go

Here's a few from today around the Hannibal Sub. It was a promising day, but the fog took all morning to lift and it generally ruined the photos. It seems like the hazy days of summer have arrived. Bill
  8. B_Kosanda

I Guess the Drought is Over

It has been raining cat and dogs here lately. Many of the roads around the river are closed. You can see the flooded Cuivre River in photo #3. It's within a couple feet of the bottom of the bridge. That river flows directly into the Mississippi river about a half mile away. This is all at...
  9. B_Kosanda

The Weather is Here...

What great mix of weather here lately. Sunny days followed by blizzards. Here's a few from the Hannibal Sub. 1 - Westbound mixed freight at Apex, MO 2 - Westbouns mixed freight at Clarksville, MO 3 - Westbound mixed freight at Dameron, MO 4 - Westbound Herzog train at Machens, MO...
  10. B_Kosanda

Some January and February Stuff

These shots are from around St. Louis over the last few weeks. I just never got around to posting these. These firrst four are from the UP Chester sub over in Illinois.
  11. B_Kosanda

Meet at Gibb

It was a cold and windy day today. We just missed a big snowstorm which passed just to the south of us, so I was a little disappointed. These pics are from a meet at Gibb this afternoon. The last one is my favorite of the bunch. Bill
  12. B_Kosanda

My Shadow Was 50 Feet Long

The winter solstice is close, providing some great lighting in the late afternoon. This westbound coal train almost glows in the last light of a warm and windy Saturday. Have a great weekend! Bill
  13. B_Kosanda

Foggy Morning

The fog this morning was as thick as I've ever seen. What great opportunities. These are from near Foley, MO. Bill
  14. B_Kosanda

A Few with Great Fall Colors

You couldn't have asked for better weather today. The clouds parted and I caught two west bound trains near Clarksville, Missouri. The 4151 is the HGALMEM (Galesburg, IL to Memphis, TN). The first shot has the Mississippi River in the background. The 5019 with extra credit for catching a...
  15. B_Kosanda

NS Heritage Units

I caught the NS Employee Special today crossing the Missouri River at St. Charles, Missouri. Unfortunately the Nickel Plate 765 was in the lead on the west bound movement, so the lighting was aweful. The two heritage units on the rear looked good on the return trip from St. Peters, Missouri...
  16. B_Kosanda

Hannibal Sub Visitors

All of a sudden, it has turned very fall-like here. THe farmers are all out trying to salvage some of their corn crops. These are all from a couple days on the Hannibal Sub north of St. Louis. Some nice visitors. Bill
  17. B_Kosanda

A Few From the Busy Hannibal Sub

My timing has been lucky lately I guess. I caught plenty of action on the Hannibal Subdivision this weekend. Sometimes if you are unlucky, you can go a couple hours or more without seeing a train here. I've taken to wearing ear plugs when photographing near crossings. Has anyone else...
  18. B_Kosanda

Hannibal Sub Action

It was another smoking hot day in St. Louis today. I can't wait to see my electric bill this month :( Here's a few shots from the BNSF Hannibal Sub near St. Louis. The line was busy with maintenance windows and trains. #1 - Wesbound mixed freight at Apex, MO just as the sun came up. #2...
  19. B_Kosanda

St. Louis Was Hot Today

It was something like 107 or 108 yesterday, so I went out around 6 am today to stay out of the heat. These are from around Moredock Lake on the UP Chester Sub in Illinois. Bill
  20. B_Kosanda

UP Chester Sub Action

Here's a few from the Chester Subdivision in Illinois. It was a busy day. I saw 11 trains in about 6 hours. These first shots are from Fountain, IL. Bill

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)