Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. E

Fictional MWC Railroad Paint Scheme Survey

Hi all! I'm currently developing a fictional Class 1 railroad, the Midwest Connecting. More info will come with the soon-to-exist website, but right now, I'm working on choosing a paint scheme for the equipment. I've narrowed down my choices to six, all based on a combination of Rock Island's...
  2. E

IC E9s for Sale

Canadian National has placed IC E8s 100 and 101 (ex BN E9AMs built as CBQ E8s) up for auction...CN is still holding on to E8s 102 and 103 in CN paint for their business train. https://www.cn.ca/-/media/Files/About%20CN/Surplus-Assets/Locomotive-2014-Sale-Tender-EN.pdf
  3. E

BNSF Locomotive Renumbering

BNSF is acquiring 275 more ES44C4s, to be numbered 8007-8281, requiring the renumbering of BNSF's SD60Ms, SD75Ms, and SD75Is. It has been confirmed that BNSF's SD75 fleet (8200-8301) is being renumbered into the 200-301 series. Those that were already in service at the time of this decision...
  4. E

LTEX Dash 8s

It appears that LTEX has recently acquired some B40-8s/C40-8s from UP. They were photographed last month in Akron. The UP markings are obviously marked out, but I see no LTEX markings. http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3685177 Anybody know if these are going to LTEX, or...
  5. E

NS 3563 (B32-8) to Museum

NS 3563, a General Electric Dash 8-32B, has been retired from NS's roster and has been donated to the Lake Shore Railway Historical Society. It has been stored for over a year now after a major engine failure. This is from NSDash9.com and was mentioned in a Trains Magazine post on Facebook...
  6. E

BNSF Slug Renumbering

From rrpicturearchives, it seems like BNSF is renumbering some of its slugs in the 261-271 range, right after the TEBC6 SD9 slug rebuilds. Some slugs from 3967 through 3977 have been photographed, with most being repainted into H3 if photographed, and the other just having a patch. Could...
  7. E

B30-7/b30-7a/b30-7a1

I know the difference between the B30-7 and the B30-7A (16 cylinder vs 12 cylinder FDL prime mover), but what distinguished the B30-7A from the B30-7A1? Thanks!
  8. E

GTW SD40-3s?

Why are GTW's SD40-3s in KCS paint, like the one shown here? Were they bought from the KCS and just never repainted? Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! :)
  9. E

Union Pacific Ditchlights?

I saw UP 6280, a GE AC4400CW, lead a 2 unit power move go by twice today, (northbound and southbound) I noticed that it had flashing ditch lights, when they were turned on at the crossing. It surprised me, as I never knew that UP used flashing ditch lights on their locomotives. Are...
  10. E

Amtrak Freight Engines???

I've noticed that Amtrak has quite a few freight engines. (4 GP38s, 4 GP7s, and 4 GP9s) I'm not sure if this roster is still correct, but why would Amtrak use a freight engine. I know that they used to run an intermodal service, but what would the purpose for them be now? Also, are these...
  11. E

Union Pacific 3300: The United Way Unit

I am wondering where this unit is located. UP still has some SD40-2s on their roster, but I've heard that the engine was retired. If so, where is it now? I am curious because I want to see this engine. I would be happy to hear anything about this unit, if anybody knows anything about it...
  12. E

KCS Leading UP Manifest

On the old MoPac line today, I was railfanning in St. Joseph, and caught an interesting sight: A UP manifest being led by a grey KCS engine, with a safety cab. We are in Illinois, so the KCS runs through the area, but we are a couple hundred miles away from KCS trackage. Seeing a KCS engine is...
  13. E

Plymouth 12 Ton?

I've seen a locomotive known as a Plymouth 12 Ton in my area, as it works for the Bloomer Line. Does anybody know anything about these engines, like when they were made, and how many are left? Thanks!
  14. E

Mojave Sub Multiplayer on Trainz 12?

Anybody ever done multiplayer with the Mojave Sub? How good is it?
  15. E

Chatsworth, IL

Chatsworth has two short line railroads running through it: The Bloomer Line and the TPW. The Bloomer Line is a seasonal rail, so it mainly has trains at harvest season. They do run a GP9 commonly. The TPW has about 1-2 trains a week. Both railroads are very friendly, and will not go...
  16. E

Gilman, IL

Gilman is an ideal place for railfanning. Home to an Amtrak station, there is 4-6 Amtraks a day. Along with a CN train every hour, there is quite a bit of switching that occurs. (Most of it in town, which makes the locals mad when they have to wait an hour because the fines issued by the town...
  17. E

Greetings From East Central Illinois!

Hello! I am a railfan from East Central Illinois, and have just recently got into railfanning. Since then, I have researched the many nearby railroads. I love the ECI region because it has a huge variety of different railroads to watch, from short lines to 4 Class 1 railroads! It is an ideal...
  18. E

Champaign-Urbana, IL

University Avenue in Urbana has the old (Penn Central?) line running through it, and is now used by NS, but only has a train every 2-3 days. The IC runs through, and the CN has about a train every hour. Also, the Amtrak runs the Illini, Saluki, and New Orleans through here, so there is about...
  19. E

St. Joseph, IL

There is a UP line running through St. Joe. There are about one train every 45 minutes, and they are mainly TOFCs or autoracks. There is the occasional manifest, and there seems to be a lot of Conrail action on these lines, with other UP engines.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)