Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. B

scanner frequencies

I haven't been out much railfanning over the winter, but finally got out in the last couple of weeks. My scanner sits there silent. I even was at the station/yard and watch the local switch crew at work. I could see the guy talking into his unit, but heard nothing on my scanner. I used to...
  2. B

Backwards situation!

We have all seen freight trains hauling semi trailers. I was at a place in Hamilton, Ontario near National Steel Car where this car was made, and saw this Arcelor Mittal freight car sitting on top of a semi trailer!
  3. B

neat big bridge.

I was impressed by this bridge, at a sharp angle to the road, probably a 35 degree or so.
  4. B

Oglebay Norton car on CN line

This one came to the bridge, stopped and left, but I quickly got a pic of this interesting name on a car. I see it is marked as ITGX Which is ITG Inc, which still means nothing to me.
  5. B

CN in Green Bay, WI.

It is still soooooooooo weird for me to see CN going through Green Bay. When I grew up here years ago there was C&NW, Milwaukee Road, and Green Bay and Western. Now all 3 are fallen flags. The old Milwaukee road tracks are completely gone except for a few remnant tracks in their former yard...
  6. B

train numbers and subs

Not sure if this is the right forum or not, but this would be dealing with CN or CP mostly. I was wondering if there is any source for knowing what sub is where, and how does one know train numbers short of if you hear them on a scanner?
  7. B

worked on a railroad scale

Hi, I work on scales for a living, and the odd time it is a railroad scale. I worked on one last week. On Wednesday we were there and tested and calibrated it with the railroad weight test car, and I couldn't get any pics or videos. We went back Friday to move the remote display and I got a...
  8. B

engine id help

I am not too good at IDing engines yet, am working on it, but it is a slow process. Can anybody help with this one. It is like the one where I posted CEFX engine and now I have seen 2 in the Hamilton CN yard!
  9. B

CEFX engine on CN mainline

Last weekend I was railfanning on the CN mainline in Dundas, Ontario. It was a pathetically slow day, but this one lone CEFX reporting mark engine went cruising through. Makes me wonder what it was doing there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q05CAzPeT8U
  10. B

2 engines sitting in the yard

stopped by the local rail yard briefly and found these 2 sitting at the back. CN 7080 is the local switch engine, not really sure why the Rail America was there.
  11. B

International Bridge

I was in Fort Erie, Ontario across the bridge from Buffalo, NY, and had a while to try to video trains. none came but I took this pic of the bridge.
  12. B

CN "work train"

Kept hearing on the scanner about CN 900 work train. Finally it came into view, a long train with rails on it, heard on the scanner the difficulties of where to park it for the night as it was 1800 feet long!
  13. B

Lapeyrouse grain!

Yes, I was surprised by the name, but there it was.
  14. B

Car from Iowa in Southern Ontario

I went to the local railroad yard to see if I could video a train and this car was sitting there, it just caught my attention, having never seen this name before.
  15. B

Update and more pics on interesting freight.

Well, most interesting! I went back to the railroad station today for the brief half hour spare I had and saw some activity with this large unit. The 16 wheel car was shuttled off to a side track sitting there. There was briefly a power company van there. There was a crane so huge being set...
  16. B

Interesting piece of freight!

I went to the Brantford rail station to get some videos yesterday. Not much happening there, but saw this interesting load sitting there in the yard.
  17. B

looking for ID on engine

I shot this video today: http://www.youtube.com/user/Bhil3#p/a/u/0/m16XODGWUz0 I am really puzzled as to what rail line that 4th engine is from. Nothing I have ever seen before.
  18. B

Locomotive ID

I will confess my ignorance here, I don't know a dash 9 from a dash 8 from an Alco from a GE from anything else from looking at them. Is there some forum, book, or place I can learn to distinguish the different engines from one another?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)