Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. K

Wabash Cannonball Reborn in October 2013

Greetings, Just had a great weekend chasing the Nickel Plate #765 as it pulled a 16 car steam excursion on former Wabash track from Fort Wayne, IN to Lafayette, IN and return both days. The train ran WITHOUT A DIESEL so it was all #765. The weather started out cloudy windy and cool on...
  2. K

Steamin Up North with #261

Spent last weekend chasing Milwaukee Road #261 on its first trip after being rebuilt. The weather was weird with everything from sun, clouds, wind, snow and sleet. What a mixed bag but all in all a nice trip. Below are some of my shots from the trip and Night Photo Session. First...
  3. K

St Patty's Day Eve in SE WI 2013

Here are the shots I got on St Patty's Day eve 2013 in Milwaukee and then Duplainville. Plenty of trains out there and plenty of great power mainly EMD. Nice visit from the INRD, NS, UP and a host of others. Keith Former F40PH #90368 now a Cabbage Unit leads the 11am Hiawatha...
  4. K

Milw 261 Announces First Steam Excursion since 2008

Milwaukee Road #261 will pull its first excursion in 4 years. Mothers Day weekend May 11-12, 2013 the #261 will pull its train from Minneapolis, MN to Duluth, MN on the BNSF. The train will depart on Saturday May 11 and return May 12th. On Saturday there will be a Dinner Train from Duluth to...
  5. K

Soo Line #1003 Steamed Up and Running AGAIN !!

In 2010 there was alot of talk that the Soo Line #1003 2-8-2 steam engine had made its last run and was going to stuffed and mounted in a Wisconsin Auto Museum. Well thanks to alot of hard work and large donations by several Wisconsinites and others the #1003 has emerged from its 15 yr rebuild...
  6. K

IRM Nebraska Zephyr Glides across Illinois

This past weekend the Illinois Railroad Museum let its Nebraska Zephyr and its E5 run on the BNSF from Chicago to Galesburg and West Quincy and return. The trainset glistened in the bright sunshine both days. Below are some shots from the weekend. The weather was great both days. The...
  7. K

Nebraska Zephyr and Old Signals

With the announcement of the Illinois Railway Museum Nebraska Zephyr runnining on the BNSF mainline from Chicago to Galesburg in late September I have been doing some research on where to maybe get some shots of the Zephyr. I understand that the BNSF is replacing the old CB&Q signals with...
  8. K

18 Trains in 6 Hours and not Rochelle IL but Wisconsin

Headed out to Duplainville for what was supposed to be a sunny day on Saturday Sept 1, 2012. However the remnants of Hurricane Isaac kept things cloudy but comfortable temps. Trains were really running. 18 trains in 6 hours. Including several meets on the Canadian Pacific. Check...
  9. K

Busy 2 Hours on the Southside of Milwaukee

Had one of the busiest Friday evenings in a while at what was one of Milwaukee's nicest railfan locations - Waterford Ave or Powerton for those who are older. It is still a great spot but the parking restrictions SUCK. Can't park any closer than about 100 yards from the tracks. Also the stupid...
  10. K

Some Neat Bright and Shiny Stuff in Illinois

On June 17 2012 I headed into Illinois with my final destination Cedar Rapids IA for the NRHS Convention. Along the way I stopped in Mendota IL and Galesburg. Saw some neat stuff CBQ caboose #14451 by kschmidt626, on Flickr Milwaukee Road Combine at Mendota IL by kschmidt626, on...
  11. K

2012 NRHS Excursion Diesel Steam Combination

I recently returned from attending the 2012 NRHS Convention in Cedar Rapids, IA. Several excursions were run while I was there. The first one I was a part of was from Cedar Rapids to Davenport IA pulled by diesel with return to Cedar Rapids pulled by Chinese QJ Iowa Interstate #6988...
  12. K

Weekend Happenings in Southeast Wisconsin

Spent the last two weekends doing some railfanning in Southeast Wisconsin. Most of the time was at Duplainville, but the southside of Milwaukee was also a stop last Friday night. Here are some results from the outings. Westbound UP LPA53 with 4 Units by kschmidt626, on Flickr Westbound...
  13. K

Santa Fe #3751 Grand Canyon Trip

I had the chance to head out west to see the Santa Fe #3751 pull the Grand Canyon Limited. This train ran from LA to Williams, AZ. Then with Grand Canyon Railway #4960 pulled a doubleheaded steam train from Williams to the Rim of the Grand Canyon. It was quite the trip. Unfortunately the...
  14. K

The Many Railroads of Duplainville WI

Spent a couple of hours out at Southeast Wisconsin's HotSpot Duplainville. I had just returned from a trip out West to see ATSF #3751 on the Grand Canyon Limited train from LA to Grand Canyon. Those pictures will be coming later. The time at Duplainville was quite fruitful so I will...
  15. K

Railfan Help in AZ and CA

Greetings, I am planning a trip west to catch the Santa Fe #3751 as it steams from LA to Grand Canyon via the BNSF and Arizona and California Railroads. Also its run on the Peavine Line. Along with the thousands ?? of other railfans that will be doing the same thing. I'm flying into...
  16. K

Holy !! Saturday at Duplainville WI

I guess the title could be taken several ways. Of course the day before Easter is usually called Holy Saturday. Well also I went out to Duplainville and the trains were moving, especially on the CP. The laptop with ATCS got a pretty good workout. Here is a sample of some the what was seen...
  17. K

Former CNW E8 now painted SP pulls Dinner Train on CP

WOW, I know thats alot of initials but its true. Over the weekend the Arizona Eastern E8 former CNW, now painted in SP Black Widow pulled a Dinner train over the CP former Milwaukee Road Tracks. Here are some shots from Sunday Feb 19th AZER #6070 led Brunch Train from Chicago to Sturtevant...
  18. K

Late Fall Line Up at Duplainville USA

Spent Friday 11-04-2011 out at Duplainville USA. The Canadian Pacific was BUSY!! Plus there was a track inspector out who was dropping speed restrictions all over and even shut down the mainline for a while due to some track problems. CN didn't run much as has been the norm lately. Several...
  19. K

Non Rochelle Rochelle Trains

Had to get out of the house at least one day of my vacation. With clear skies Friday morning 10-14-2011 I headed down Rochelle, IL. But I didn't want to take any shots at the Deerstand(Railfan Platform). So I decided to check out the BNSF line. I had my laptop with ATCS and that was helpful...
  20. K

Duplainville USA Columbus Day with Surprises

Spent another nice Fall day at Wisconsin's Hot Spot Duplainville USA. The Canadian National seems to either running fewer longer trains or something because there traffic seems way down. The CP was quite busy between 12noon and 5pm. I wanted to leave early to try and avoid the traffic at...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)