Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. Mcleod

CN in Whitecourt, Alberta 2020

June 08, 2020 Here are a few photos I took during a walk through of the small CN yard in Whitecourt. Home Hardware on the left, the CN bunkhouse on the right, and this days complement of engines parked on sidings in the middle. The two CN water tank cars were moved recently to the siding they...
  2. Mcleod

May 27, 2020 A couple of engines were sitting on the south siding in the Whitecourt yard, right beside the Home Hardware fence where I was picking up lumber on Wednesday. The event offered the opportunity to scoot into the yard and snap a few photos. That particular siding the engines were...
  3. Mcleod

head on crash

Wow! The pair in the stopped train made a run for it. I wonder if the engineer in the moving engine jumped ship before impact?!
  4. Mcleod

Hello from Maryland!

Welcome Jason. Glad you like the photos posted here. If you have any photos in your own collection, please feel free to post them up all you want.
  5. Mcleod

Newton Ks 5/22/20

Don't you just hate it when power poles photo-bomb the fine images you are trying to make. It happens to me all the time in our local yard. We don't seem to get a lot of graffito applied to the CN engines in my area. The fake artist's/vandals in you're area must be a bit more brazen.
  6. Mcleod

Tie Crane working on the railroad

I was getting seasick watching that movie!
  7. Mcleod

Since I've recently taken an interest in trains and in photographing them, I do hope to get out there soon. Whitecourt is sitting right on an ecological border, with agricultural land to the east and boreal forest to the west. I believe the CN tracks running through here are known as the Sangudo...
  8. Mcleod

Where is the Omaha Posse?

I enjoy looking up the history of the odd engine that make up part of the road I'm interested in. That SD60 in the photograph, CN 5436, was formerly GMTX 9086, in a blue/grey livery. It appears as though GMTX is the reporting mark of a locomotive leasing partner of the GATX Rail Locomotive...
  9. Mcleod

Abilene Kansas Action 2020

I also find certain railcars to be quite interesting. Indeed, they are changing appearance through the decades, and a photographic record of them as we go along is important. I do like you're photos, and I'm glad you are including the railcars as well as the locomotive power.
  10. Mcleod

Bill, I don't know why 4 engines were there yesterday. Perhaps an over-night stay in our nice CN bunkhouse has something to do with it. I went downtown on this very rainy day, and noticed that CN 2271 & 2234 have departed. CN 2272 & 2244 have not moved. There is a much larger yard just west of...
  11. Mcleod

May 20, 2020 A quartet of ES44DC's parked on a short spur in the Whitecourt yard. This particular spur is too close to the south fence to allow photographs from the sunny side. The shade creating building on the other side of the fence is Home Hardware. Even though I managed a number of photos...
  12. Mcleod

Tie replacement at Mile Post 18

An interesting photo essay. This type of work was recently done in my area as well. I was unable to get photographs, though. The work was along the line way off the road, not accessible by pedestrian or vehicle traffic. With the modern machinery, it don't take them long to get the work done, either.
  13. Mcleod

Herzog MOW Equipment

A fine group of photographs, Bill. Glad you dug them out of you're archives. 1670 looks like it's an older MPM, for sure. I believe many of the 'A' power units are repurposed EMD GP locomotives.
  14. Mcleod

Some SE Wisconsin Shots

CN 3263 in the first photo is a brand new ET44AC carrying the Aboriginal Affairs logo. A wonderful group of photos. Well done! The yellow Progress Rail is cool.
  15. Mcleod

May 2020 Photo Contest - Show us your best photo!

An idling C40-8W parked on a siding, while it waits for MoW workers to open the mainline to Edmonton. May 05, 2020.
  16. Mcleod

Best of the Royal Gorge

I took a little google walk to see where this was. Quite the interesting history with the old west gorge war and a lot of money involved. That rail hanging bridge pictured in part 1 has certainly been in service for awhile. Wonderful photographs. Well done!
  17. Mcleod

Today, I found out why CN 5386 has an off color cabin door and different number boards side to side: This engine was involved in a rail accident in August, 1999. Apparently, a defective unsecured railcar ladder dangling on a train passing by on the adjacent track, side-swiped CN 5386. The...
  18. Mcleod

Freight trains and heavy haul in Czech Republic

Watching a few of those sequences, I wondered if people really have nothing more intelligent to do than paint nonsense on railcars.
  19. Mcleod

It is true, the older pulp-n-paper mills stink up the neighborhood. Hinton, AB, has one dating from the 1950's that smells like no tomorrow. We have two here, a glossy paper and a pulp mill. Both are newer technology, and leave hardly no smell at all. They do spit out a-lot of steam, that can...
  20. Mcleod

Thanks for joining in, Sherrel. You are right, the CN North America map scheme was absolutely horrible; it looks like paint peeling from any angle. As far as I can find out, the scheme was applied 1992-1995, so it didn't last long. It does mean, though, that any CN locomotives still carrying...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)