Search results

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. R

BNSF track projects, WA State 2014

With what we all hope is a temporary down turn in traffic, wouldn't it be a good time for BNSF to go ahead, finally, and do something about the StampedeTunnel? Seems to me, the major things that need to happen are: a)Enlarge the existing bore to allow forseeable equipment such as double stacks...
  2. R

Northwest Detours and track conditions

Oops! Meant high line (Cascade Tunnel) and not high lie!
  3. R

Has BNSF been able to keep the high lie open, or are they detouring through the gorge and over Stampede?
  4. R

Interesting. I wonder if they're going to change out jointed rail in the Bristol - Cle Elum area, or if that's already done. Still got the tunnel issue, of course...
  5. R

Which begs the question: any changes projected for Stampede?
  6. R

Is the railroad industry dying in the United States?

In a word, it's hardly dying. In the west, BNSF and UP are both doing quite well and turning decent profits. I suspect that each of the class I railroads are doing well. That being said, there are likely short lines in trouble, as always. Amtrak wasn't ever set up as a money making enterprise...
  7. R

Union Pacific Tunnel Collapse in Oregon

By the way, the UP junction with the Oregon Trunk sub is on the south side of the river at Celilo, right at the south end of the BNSF bridge. Amtrak isn't likely to use the line much, if at all. North of Bend to the river, it is full of heavy curvature and grades, and isn't fast. It would add...
  8. R

The Oregon Trunk, later a part of GN, now BNSF, ran from Wishram to Klamath Falls via trackage rights from Chemult south. Oddly enough, parts of the track are actually owned by UP still (a hold over from when Hill's GN and Harriman's UP were somewhat more hostile and laying parallel lines into...
  9. R

Maybe not enough crews familiar with the territory from either BNSF or UP; BNSF is going to use its crews first on its own trains, and although UP does have trackage rights, it may not have enough crews for additional trains, even if BNSF has enough people available to act as pilots.
  10. R

sidings in the Colorado Springs CO area

One would think BNSF or UP could answer this.
  11. R

Amtrak Cascade Derailment at Dupont, WA

Article itself seems odd. What was actually going on in that cab, and who was driving look like key issues.
  12. R

On the other side of the hill, there was a rail train, laden with new rail, westbound, through Yakima yesterday afternoon. Wonder where he was going.
  13. R

The Union Pacific main through the Columbia Gorge is currently closed due to the Eagle Creek Fire at Cascade Locks. Wonder if UP is detouring over BNSF Fallbridge, Stampede and Yakima Valley Subs, or if they are just sitting tight.
  14. R

Load securing

They have quite strict requirements in this area, and reject or set out improper loads. They can and do even check loads for proper securing and weight distribution.
  15. R

All this work begs the question: Is anything likely on Stampede/Yakima Valley subs and the tunnel this year? Are there more projects to lessen the clogging on Lakeside? Lat sweek I took the train fromVancouver BC to Seattle. Looks like the track from Brownsville into Pacific Central Terminal...
  16. R

Long term storage

Thanks for moving this where it belongs. To make my question a little clearer, these cars are likely BNSF and are stashed on a spur BNSF owns.
  17. R

Long term storage

There are a lot -- literally miles -- of lumber cars stashed on the old spur between Palmer Jct. and the end of track near Veazey (on the old line through Enumclaw). They've been there, I believe, for years. Does anybody know how long cars in storage can be left before they are unusable and...
  18. R

Out and about in KCMO area

These old steam engines are fascinating beasts indeed! Good pictures! Not sure where else to ask this, but what is the function of the "elephant ears" on the sides of the front end? I've seen them an a lot of engines, even Chinese, Russian, and European. (I personally think the old engines...
  19. R

Don't know where else this would fit, but what does BNSF do to prepare for this storm, and expected rainfall, especially Bellingham, Seattle, Scenic and Stampede subs? Each certainly has known vulnerable areas. Reroutes, extra MOW, etc?
  20. R

Lots of steel, tie and ballast work, surfacing and the like on both sides over the past couple of years. Tunnel is what it is,but it works for EB oil cans and the like.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)