The Clergy and Railroads!?! An article from across the pond!

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

I was asked to give a talk in 2020 to a clergy discussion group in the UK on the subject 'Clergy and Trains'. This group had decided to have its annual outing on The East Lancs Railway and I was to be the after dinner 'entertainment'! It did not work out, for obvious reasons in 2020, as the Covid-19 pandemic altered everyone's plans!

However, as a result of the request, I began to study what was available online and in the press on this subject and the place it takes in the wide range of interests available to the clergy. ... Whether my research counts as original research, I very much doubt. However, you might find what follows of interest!

"It is a truth universally acknowledged that the clergy love trains." So started an article by Ed Beavan in the Church Times on 15th June 2011, entitled 'All Steamed Up About Trains'. [1] On the centenary of the birth of the Revd W. V. Awdry, creator of Thomas the Tank Engine, Ed Beavan asked, in his article in the Church Times, why so many clergy are railway buffs.

Very interesting Roger. I have long noted a connection with railroads by church organists also. And friend of mine left the clergy to pursue a career with the BN railroad.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back