Recent content by stevelton

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. S

track & time question in CTC limits

I plan to use JMRI, and free open source software suite to interface with my DCC system to replicate (as close as can be done on any model railroad) a CTC system. I will do some asking around to see if stacking is programmable with JMRI. If the software doesnt support that I may have to use...
  2. S

Interesting. I didnt know the CTC system could line a block multiple times automatically like that. Thanks for that insight.
  3. S

I am planning a model railroad that will represent present day Union Pacific. I have been around real railroads for over 20 years, so I have a pretty good idea of prototype railroad operations. Im just looking for some clarification from other experienced railfans and employees. If there is...
  4. S

Replacement for Timetable.

As others have stated, there is so much security around railroad operations that the information that used to be available for these publications to make and sell a "Railfan Timetable" is no longer easy to get. With that said, there is so much technology available for todays modern railfan...
  5. S

Up844 shiloh limited steam special

I will be doing the normal "GF80 steam chase manuver" from St. Louis to Wolf Lake or Mclure on that wednesday. Man I love working the weekends! Steven
  6. S

Understanding UP local symbols

Well, we are in teh St. Louis Unit here, so S for St. Louis. L for local. Now just to figure out the G. Ive never heard a date number on the symbol. Its always just LSG-54, nothing else. At least not over the radio. Maybe their paper work says something different and thats just the short version...
  7. S

Understanding UP local symbols

I have found a few different sites on the internet that have a good listing of normal UP train symbols, but those lists fail to explain how the locals are giver a train symbol. Now, I have grown up on a UP main line, and have been railfanning them ever since, but have never asked myself the...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)