Recent content by omax

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. O

Do you think EMD will ever build a DD90ACe?

55, Here's something I witnessed in real life re: a different kind of traction. Years ago, I witnessed a tug-of-war. On one side, there was about 25-30 teenagers and on the other side, there was maybe 12 men, some were well-built and quite strong. Before the tug-of-war took place the youth...
  2. O

"Once bitten twice shy". The railroads might be gun-shy after their dismal first attempt at operating 6000hp models. The price of fuel might eventually force the railroads to take another crack at the 6's. A successful rail-freight operation needs to get the biggest bang for their buck. To...
  3. O

Some kind of variable power option might be another motive power solution for today's rail freight industry. Having the ability to adjust a units horsepower, i.e. being able to choose the horsepower that you want, anywhere from 4000 up to 6000hp, might be a nice option to have for a modern...
  4. O

I think the winner in the freight industry will be whoever can: - reliably move the most freight, using the quickest most effective means, and having the goods arrive intact. Freight trains still seem to be the obvious choice and seem to be the best option, as far as the environment is...
  5. O

Jay, I have enjoyed your input, and if it was my railroad... we'd be running the big six's, in groups of three and/or possibly four, if it made sense. You could also mix 4400's and 6000's, I imagine. Frank, I don't know the prices for a 4,300hp prime mover or the cost of a 6000hp motor, but...
  6. O

Jay, The current/latest traction control systems should be superior to the traction control systems that were used in the mid-nineties. That combined with better high horsepower prime movers etc. should make 6000hp locomotives a viable power option. Rick
  7. O

CSX, It is my understanding that, one of the reasons 6000hp units were initially considered in the mid-nineties was that, they were supposed to do the work of two 3000hp locomotives. That wasn't done just for speed was it? Diesel locomotives, ever since their inception, have frequently seen...
  8. O

Having at least one DPU positioned mid-train, in a long train, seems like it would help keep the cars on the rails, especially in the curves. I 'm thinking it would, also, cut down on the stress/strain exerted on the couplers, by balancing the push and pull forces. Rick
  9. O

Three 4400hp suffice for some of CP's coal trains. BNSF runs four 4400/4300hp units on their coal train, in the (2) + (2) formation. They, BNSF, could drop one 4400/4300hp unit if they went with three 6000hp locomotives, in the (1) + (1) + (1) formation. If CP decided to run bigger/longer...
  10. O

GRRR, For years, I have personally watched CP run exactly that type of formation, (1) + (1) + (1), with their long coal trains. Usually it's all GE's... ES44AC's and AC4400CW's. That's why I thought you could move the BNSF coal train I often see with (3) 6000hp units. Using the same...
  11. O

timruss, My main participation here, in this thread, was to present a higher horsepower option to Frank's query; and shed some light on what is currently available re: new motive power. I definitely care about the environment, but that is separate topic. Rick
  12. O

I post the horsepower and tonnage ratings for the HXD1B and get this response from you - "Supposed to do, and do are two different things". To me, your statement is dismissive... basically you're saying ya right... those numbers are a bunch of B.S. If you can actually prove the HXD1B can't...
  13. O

In 2005, China ordered 300 HXN5 diesel-electric locomotives that come with GE's 6,250hp GEVO-16 power plant. Currently, there are active builders and buyers of high horsepower locomotives. Rick
  14. O

Both EMD's and GE's original 6000hp motors were rushed jobs and their dismal performance reflected that. Supposedly, the GEVO-16 and the 16V265H are better prime movers than the initial 6000hp offerings. 1995 is ancient history when it comes to locomotive technology. Why are you knocking a...
  15. O

Siemens started delivering 12,873hp units to China in 2009. These 6 axle electric locomotives are called HXD1B`s. One of these locomotives is supposed to be capable of moving a 10,000 ton freight train by itself. That`s one locomotive. Sort of makes a 6000hp unit pale in comparison. I...

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)