Recent content by IronBeltKen

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

1. IronBeltKen

Vintage Pre-Chessie B&O Slides - Digitized

Happy Friday, forum dwellers! Now we've reached the upper-9000's of my personal collection. First up is #9624A, the "cow" of a cow-and-calf TR4 switcher I caught on a cloudy evening beside the Riverside roundhouse: Then we have the "calf" #9625, permanently MU'ed to 9624 in the preceding...
  2. IronBeltKen

More "whistling" Alco switchers today , this time S-2's. Here's # 9115; those clouds of smoke are actually mold damage...but in a bizzarre way, they kind of add to the general atmosphere: Looks like that body isn't fitting down properly onto the frame over the rear end. Reminds me of decoder...
  3. IronBeltKen

OOOOPs I missed a day 😴, apologies to those of you who've been following the thread... Today I have one slide of an 8000-series unit, then the rest of them will be from the 9000's. First up is #8414, an SW-1. I was only 13 when I saw my very first one of these in downtown Baltimore - in the...
  4. IronBeltKen

Haven't heard about that one; of course, after ~1973 I was away from Maryland due to my Navy enlistment, didn't really keep up with that sort of railfan news for the next 15 years. However, I do remember hearing that some Western Maryland shop employees snuck one of their Chessie-painted...
  5. IronBeltKen

SInce this is Sunday - and the only day of the week where I can spend the entire day working on my layout, which is what I did - tonight's post will have to be a short one. It'll be about the 7000's, which include the B&O's "other" F units - those inherited from the C&O. You know how you tend...
  6. IronBeltKen

RRF Coffee Shop

Bob, I'll have to make sure I get a meal at Frank's if I'm ever able to fulfill my "pipe" dream of taking an Amtrak tour across the continent and find myself in Washington State. But I'll have to wait another three years before I have the freedom to do that...and who knows if Amtrak trains will...
  7. IronBeltKen

Happy Saturday evening! Tonight I'll show you what I got of the 6900 series, e.g. the GP30's. As I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, I was obsessed with finding as many of the first-generation locos as I could chase down. And for that reason, I didn't shoot very many pics of GP30s. I...
  8. IronBeltKen

Yesterday we did the 6500's, tonight will be the 6600 series of B&O geeps. First up is #6603, a "torpedo boat" GP9 with the air reservoirs on the roof to allow for a higher-capacity fuel tank. These were initially used in passenger service and painted in the elegant blue-gray-black livery...
  9. IronBeltKen

As I mentioned on Wednesday, there'll be more first-generation geep photos this evening - this time covering what I have of the 6500 series. First up is #6503, parked beside the Riverside roundhouse. A somewhat non-descript unit, notable details include a nearly-full side "skirt" (similar to...
  10. IronBeltKen

Baltimore & Ohio

Wish I'd been born a few years earlier so I could've seen these in action! Not a single one of these units were preserved. I read an article in the Sentinel where some Mount Clare shop workers tried to hide a mothballed unit among some stored freight cars in the yard, waiting until enough...
  11. IronBeltKen

Good evening, got some more geep photos; in fact, I'll be posting [1st-gen] geep pics for the next couple days because I've got more of those than any other loco type. Part of the reason for that is because, as older units, they had personality - very few of them looked exactly alike, after...
  12. IronBeltKen

Dang, already 9:30 and I still haven't posted my next daily couple of slides! I've run out of the B&O original F-units, but there'll be a couple more C&O hand-me-downs later when I get to the 7000's. Next one up is #5607, a freshly re-numbered [but NOT repainted] GP7 that I think was shifting...
  13. IronBeltKen

Wish I woulda thought about this in my first reply to CGW-Tom: I don't have any of my OWN tapes, but here's somebody else's handiwork from 1975 on the WM (R.I.P.)...and they are the actual sounds, not dubbed-over!
  14. IronBeltKen

Bob, that's absolutely correct...but on the other side of the coin, it makes them very easy for me to paint and decal! :D

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back