Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

North Mail

North Mail

Back in 1988, armed with an employee rail pass, I decided to ride the North Mail to Tenterfield. The night running mail trains were shortly to vanish from the NSW rail scene. Sadly, this scene is now long gone to the history books. Two aussie alco locomotives, wooden and steel bodied non-airconditioned carriages, and the north rail line no longer intact to Tenterfield.
I did enjoy the trip bouncing along in my sleeping compartment listening to the clanking of the wheels, rattle of the carriage fixtues, and the chortle of the aussie alcos up front, all for free.

Aussie Alco.
If I could play "rail God", one of my first duties would be to restore trains to the old GN line to Tenterfield. I never saw any trains on it but having been down that way a few times in the last ten years, it surely must have been a masterpiece.

Tenterfield itself is a fascinating station, and now has an interesting local rail musueum in the station building. I don't regard myself as a traditionalist, but what a place it must have been in the Good Old Days!

Interestingly, there seems to be a lot of local community ownership of the original infrastructure, judging by the number of local building preservation activities between Armadale and the border.

Thanks for the photo Aussie Alco!

Media information

Category
International Passenger Trains
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back