Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Entering Gore Canyon's series of tunnels
ohle

Entering Gore Canyon's series of tunnels

Shot from Amtrk No. 6 Eastbound, the California Zephyr enters one of a series of tunnels in Gore Canyon, between Glenwood Springs and Denver. Shot with 35MM camera Nov. 2002.
Thanks. That was probably my best and most enjoyable train trip ever. I have ridden more than 30,000 miles on Amtrak, mostly on Western routes, but also CHI-PHL and MIA-RMT.

I plan to take that route again sometime in the future and use a 28MM lens. This one was shot on a 50MM lens, which is a bit too close-up for me.

You're right - a wider angle lens would've been better. That's one of the best passenger train rides I've ever been on; through the canyon!

I just returned from another EB trip on that leg. The WB was through the Wyoming detour. Will hope to post the WY photos and the EB trip pics soon as well. THis time, I used a wider lens.

Y
For a different angle of this great shot, check out this link: http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/378/

The rapid Tunnel Falls is directly below that first tunnel in your picture.

I kayaked this section for the first time on 8/22 and 8/27. I've always enjoyed the excitement a train adds to a canyon run as it thunders through canyons like this one.

Yaker,
I want to hike down into that area and get some shots of the trains going through the canyon.

I noticed this description on the link you provided regarding kayak put-ins..

"Shuttle Directions About 1 mile south of Kremmling head west on Trough Road (1 rd). Take a right 1/2 a mile down this road, before crossing the river, to get to the put-in."

How difficult do you think it would be to hike from that put-in point out to an area that would be good to get EBs and WBs?

You can email me off-list as well. Thanks.

Y
I have not hiked in, but many have, and is quite the experience from what I understand. Here is a link to a recent discussion about that hike, which is refering to the race that occured on 8/22. http://www.mountainbuzz.com/viewtopic.php?t=2578

p.s. I have no idea where the nearest train station would be, but im prety sure its not too close.

Thanks for the links. I've driven through that area and gotten shots from high above, off of Inspiration Point. I'm considering camping in the area and hiking as fas as I can so I can get some good shots of Amtrak going through those three tunnels.

It may, however, be best to try to hike down from Inspiration Point, since the trail at river level seems very difficult

C
Great photo of one of the many breath taking views on my railroad. Tips for hikers don't! Too many upturned kayaks that get turned into me. Pay the money and ride Amtrak

More views of this remote area are found here.

http://www.trainweb.org/amtrakphotos/trains/cz.htm

Media information

Category
Scenic Views
Added by
ohle
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back