Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Adieu CTRW 773/774
R

Adieu CTRW 773/774

• Romet
Canadian Pacific built the line to Meadow Lake in 1911. In 1990 CP traded it to CN in exchange for the Weyburn and Bengough Subs (both incidentally listed for abandonment as of 2008). CN in turn sold the Meadow Lake line in 1997 to OmniTRAX. Earlier today (March 15, 2009), the last major industry online, Meadow Lake sawmill closed its doors. Coincidentally Carlton Trail plans to abandon the line in April once the snow clears.

I never did manage to catch an operating train on the route, given the current state of affairs looks like there wont be anymore runs either. Hence Im railfanning by proxy:

Toward the end CTRW utilized four leased GMTX GP38-2s, that incidentally look identical to LLPX GP38-2s leased by the CBNS shortline on the other side of the continent. This is because they are from the same leasing company, utilizing the same paint scheme on their units, with minor differences in decaling, i.e.:
LLPX 2259 has none
LLPX 2269 is labelled Locomotive Leasing Partners
GMTX 2686 (used by CTRW) & sisters are labelled GATX Rail Locomotive Group

I believe the scenery matches as well, both lines run in fairly scenic wooded/marshy areas hauling the same product coincidentally paper & woodchips.

I was always surprised by how different 2259 & 2269 are, considering both started as IC GP40rs 3006 & 3027 respectively. 2269 has decaling on the long hood, a white nose and a small fuel tank!
Saw a Hi-rail leaving Shellbrook today, CTRW markings close to 9:00pm. Does anyone know if they sold the line to the RM or are they just mothballing it until a deal/no deal is finally reached?

Media information

Category
Regionals and Shortlines
Added by
Romet
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back