Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CP 344 DPU
R

CP 344 DPU

• Romet
CP 344 is the only common grain train on the PNL, a 110-112 car monster (100% hoppers) with an AC4400CW on each end, often two on the point. He originates somewhere in Alberta/Saskatchewan/Manitoba destined for the port of Thunder Bay, sometimes running into town conventional, to be robotized at either Sutherland or Lanigan, just like potash trains. In wintertime hes often bound for Quebec City (CP 312). Interestingly the last leg of his trip on the QGRY, he runs conventional with SD40s for power since they cannot handle modern 4400hp units.
Actually Roman just to clarify, the train is gathered up from Ag-Pro in downtown Saskatoon off Circle Drive. The 2130 Tramp spots and pulls the elevator every now and then and brings the loads into Sutherland Yard. The cars aren't always billed east, sometimes they run west to Cascadia Terminal in Vancouver. Those trains are few and far between though. We don't deal a whole lot with Ag-Pro because the CN goes in there every now and then as well. It is pretty much whoever can get them the cars first. The tramp usually uses Geeps for their switching because the rail is so light, but when they have to lift Ag-Pro they run cab-hop over and lift the grain which is an all night affair. They usually pass up the CN transfer, Robin Hood, and P&H and once done lifting the grain don't get into Sutherland until 0400. Cheers.

R
Mike, I know about that tramp job - who could imagine, a THB GP7 (CP 1686) on the Wilkie sub spotting an elevator in 2008. Quite a few of these CP 344's originate at Wilkie (branchlines in every direction), maybe even further West? It always bothers me when I'm waiting @ Sutherland for 345 to come in, and he "dies" at Chaviot. Intestingly CN serves Ag-Pro with mainline power - I've seen a BCOL Dash 8-40CMu/SD75I pair in there. At least CP handles CN traffic @ P&H?, the elevator off 17th street always has CN 388 series cars. CN pulled up their spur oddly enough. As well CP handles CN potash out of PSC Patience Lake (Chaviot). Some cars also come out of Colonsay - CN can't acess them as their spur is blocked by ~800 stored hoppers.

Interesting stuff guys! I can only immagine what happens to traffic when CN serves the Ag-Pro plant. Seeing how much more direct the CP connection is, I'm surprised they don't do as much work out there...let alone with the tramp job!

Media information

Category
Canada
Added by
Romet
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back