Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

SD70ACe LC at Turner
K

SD70ACe LC at Turner

BHPBIO 4319 at the head of 40,000tonnes of train.
No, this is one of the original batch. The BNSF units are unmarked except for road numbers. the BNSF units are in service but on this trip I was not able to get a shot (site inspection with others for an upcomong project).

Rumour (or in American speak, rumor) has it that the BHPB loco drivers like the BNSF cab and not the cab on the units built for BHPB.

OK, well the BNSF and the other railroads has their own specs for cab confiurations and details.

Yep, I know that. A number of years ago (about 30) New Zealand Railways got some GL22MC's from London, Ontario.

G for an export model, L for lightweight frame, M for modified, C for Co-Co.

The M modification was the cab, in particular the mounting and noise attenuation. I understand this cab became a standard later.

Much later, these loco's were turbo'd in NZ, thus becoming GT22LC's.

Has some feedback from a BHPB LE in the past day or so...

Quote:

The SD70's.

The BNSF SD70's have been upgraded but not to the point of lead units. Other than the outside paint, the outside of the SD70's are more or less the same, the BNSF inside is a bit different to the regular SD70 fleet. The new 70's are the same as the older 70's cab wise. The major difference between the BNSF and regular 70's would be, the BNSF have a fitting for a third seat, the fridge is in a different location, the drivers seat on the BNSF one's I feel are better suited for back posture while the regular fleet uses the Gammin seats, the BNSF computer screens only display basic information, the BNSF have no ATP, the control stand itself is very similair though and I beleive they have no alerters.

The biggest difference between the seats would be the Gammin are leather or make beleive leather while the BNSF seats are cloth and would in addition to better back support, be more suited I think to the hot weather. I have gone back to using a sheepskin when on the main line which has been a big help. And of course I get to wear the butt of all the sheep shagging jokes as well.....

There were plans to upgrade the BNSF fleet to lead units but I heard but the cost was supposed to have been around a $1m per loco, seems like a lot of money though they would have to be fully fitted out with ATP, new software, the base for the third seat would need to be removed which I was told by one of the EDI guys is built into the chassis so removal of that could weaken the structual of the chassis? most of what would be required would be probably centered around the ATP and radio system, they only have one radio instead of two, a minor hicup there I suppose.

Media information

Category
International Freight Trains
Added by
kiwirailengineer
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back