Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CN Articulated hopper
CN used it on their northern branch lines that have lighter rail. The third set of trucks helps to distibute the weight better. It allowed cars to be loaded to 268,000 lbs - which is the standard load limit, however, most hoppers can handle 286,000 tons, which we call a "heavy", clever ain't it!

I also know those cars were used to haul grain up to Hudson Bay as an experimental thing - I just don't know if the whole thing ever really caught on.

R
No, they never did catch on. I remember doing research on them about three years ago when I took this photo - there's only been two, the other one is an identical twin used for potash. This one was stored at the Pas for many years do to its "weirdness", however when HBR took over, they wanted it out, so CN put it back in the fleet. This is the only time I've seen it, wish I made a better picture, then again I never expected it to be articulated, hence the poor framing. When I have time I should re-edit and post a better version, but then there's the trade-off of posting new material instead. I remember when I first posted it on the forums as part of a trip report - sone member's thought it was a Photoshop job, since it looked too strange to be real.

It was nearly a year ago, but the over town yard brought the second car of this type into Sutherland... I have a feeling it was used in potash service. I am having a hard time trying to recall if it was painted that light grey with the wet noodle in black. I really can't remember though.

Media information

Category
Freight Cars
Added by
Romet
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back