Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

SF #3751 & California Limited
H

SF #3751 & California Limited

Former Santa Fe #3751 and the California Limited excursion train drift past Water Street on the Pasadena Subdivision. Next stop, LAUPT to kick off a four-day round trip run to Bakersfield and return in December 1991.
When this train came into Chicago, it was raining cat's and dog's. I filmed it coming out of the valley where Lemont sits and approaching Willow Springs. I had a plastic bag covering the camera. The noise from the rain hitting the bag, the thunder and the catching 3751 bursting through the fog, charging up-hill wailing her whistle is something I'll never forget. I have to get that tape copied so I can post it on-line. Thanks for the memories Herb.

Thanks for the great reply Jerry.

The 1992 Employee Appreciation Special with the #3751 was quite a deal. I chased it out here in Southern California, but not east out of state. I've seen the videos of all the heavy rain that hit the excursion in IL. Most memorable I'm sure. I am familiar with the area you did your filming in. Sounds like we both have some great memories to share from that excursion. She just doesn't get out enough!

Thanks Curious!

It has been several years now since the #3751 has made a major mainline excursion. Most trips in recent times have been to local Southern California destinations for educational display purposes. A significant restriction in terms of operating an excursion has been in the Cajon Pass area where construction of a third mainline with crews and equipment everywhere basically prohibits it. I'm quite certain that BNSF would not approve anything now.

Media information

Category
Mainline Excursions
Added by
Huskerherb
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back