Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CP SD40-2B
Please do not confuse this with NREX SD40-2B's. Those are recently bought CP SD40-2's that have had the cab salvaged and B unit decals added, whereas this is the real deal. Back when CP started getting serious about locotrol, they decided to dedicated a batch of SD40-2 engines to the service. It then occured to them that since the engines would no longer ever be leading or be occupied, the cab, windows, ditchlights etc. could be stripped. During the 1990s power shortages most regained their functional cabs, but a few remain like this one. Now that the mid-train locotrol jobs are run by the new more powerfull AC4400CW's, these oddballs are left to wonder the system. The good news is that some of them have been repainted in the new paint scheme, meaning CP isn't retiring them anytime soon. Although it is fair to call them B units, CP doesn't recotnize this fact, treating it as a SD40-2 that is not lead capable. Here CP 6076 is trailing two more SD40-2's through a wall of containers while being wyed in the depot.
R
Yep, don't forget classification lights at the top too. CP really went hard to strip this unit. It was a 58xx series back when it was normal.

It's a good story you've told about the 'B' units but not quite accurate. Of the 55 units that had their windows blanked and other appurtances removed in '91 only 5758, 5760, 5763 and 5764 had ever been equipped to lead but all were equipped with Locotrol II recieving equipment and had been assigned to unit train coal service since they were purchased in the mid to late '70s.
This was a cost cutting move to use seats and other items for parts in other units. Once displaced by the AC4400CWs (3 units instead of 5 per train) in coal service, most had their cabs refitted and were equipped to lead in late '97 early '98 and replaced aging SD40s and C-424s. There are still 10 active 'B' units out there.

R
Thanks for the update midnight. I don't see these units that much, and with only 10 running around I now know why!

Guys, what is (or was) the purpose of the three lights above the number boards on Canadian loco units? I 'v notied most do not have them any more...

R
That's the replacement for the flags (the formal name escapes me). I think Green meant a 2nd section, white an extra, now what was red? A lot of units still have them and some still use them!

Media information

Category
Canadian Pacific
Added by
Romet
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back