Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Tehachapi Loop, by Moonlight

Tehachapi Loop, by Moonlight

Here is one of the worlds most famous curves, Tehachapi Loop taken on the night of January 22, 2005. With a beautiful near full moon, this is a 19 minute exposure starting at 6:56 PM. This is a southbound train coming up grade. It starts with the bright light in the middle left of the picture, this is Woodford siding, and continues down then across to the bridge over Tehachapi creek, then back across and down to curve into tunnel 9 and comes out of tunnel 9 and around the loop and into tunnel 10. The bright straight line across is highway 58. If you look at the lower left corner you can see the state historical markers for the Loop that are at a little lookout on the Tehachapi-Woodford road.
What luck! This is the first time I've ever tried one of these, and I had eight chances to get a good exposure. I had eight trains in the span of two hours just after sunset. One sounthbound, one northbound and six more southbounds one right after another. In some shots I had as many as three trains. I just kept changing the f-stop until I got this one. It was taken at f10 on my Canon Digital Rebel with the EF-S 18-55mm lens.
Then I had to drive home to Bakersfield, down into that fog that is in the middle left of the picture near the two red lights (which is a cellular telephone tower). It sort of looks like a lake, but it's the San Joaquin valley's Tule (pronounced Too Lee) fog.
This was a great catagory for me this month. The Tehachapi's have lots of "Curves".

Daylight
Streak-o-light shots around Tehachapi Loop have a history of winning photo contests. Robert Hale took a famous black and white shot very similar to this one decades ago, and I recall reading that it won a non-railroad photographic contest. Bet he's looking down and smiling now.

Nice pic man, i even like the tule fog up there, i use to have to drive in it almost every day when i lived out there.

Amazing Photo, Well executed and truly a very good representation of the route of the trains in that area. I still am amazed how it looks like a daytime shot at first!!!

Media information

Category
Night Photos
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back