Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

No do-overs (March 2006 Contest Winner)
kenw

No do-overs (March 2006 Contest Winner)

A lunch trip to get ahead of this unpatched SP leading a coal load in South Houston gave me but a few seconds to realize that something bad was going to happen.....thankfully the camera was right beside me, altho the settings weren't perfect for a grabshot at 50mph.

no injuries and the trailer was empty.
So what's the whole story behind the shot? It looks like the truck got struck in the rear, so that's good, but what happened to the poor guy in the blue F150? Did the trailer fall on him? Was the train crew ok? Did the cops ask your for your photos for a witness report? This story demands details! I once saw a similar things happen but didn't have a camera with me. A minivan had stalled on the tracks and was struck by an Amtrak Surfliner at 45 mph. No injuruies, but the crash was spectacular.

I think I saw the video of this one... the F150 was fine because the trailer got ripped away from him. Fortunately the trailer wasn't loaded with anything dense either.

Our first inclination is to blame the vehicle drivers, and they certainly have a large blame. But road design appears to be a fatal flaw here, as it often is in this type of accident.

Media information

Category
Derailments and Wrecks
Added by
kenw
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back