Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

CB&Q E-8 #9943A, Naperville, IL, May 9, 1965, photo by Chuck Zeiler

CB&Q E-8 #9943A, Naperville, IL, May 9, 1965, photo by Chuck Zeiler

Chicago Burlington & Quincy Railroad E-8 #9943A, Naperville, IL, May 9, 1965, photo by Chuck Zeiler. I lived along the Burlington's triple track main line during 1962-1966 in Naperville and I photographed a few trains during that time. One of the memories I have was the shuffle of the E-units between Aurora and Chicago. On Friday evening, after their assigned runs, the commuter E's would be run back to Chicago for service/rotation, and on Sunday evening, replacements would be run back out to Aurora for Monday morning rush hour trains.

The CB&Q rotated their E-units between Zephyr assignments and commuter service. The commuter service (in CB&Q parlance, the commuter service trains were known as Dinkys) was westbound from Chicago to Aurora in the evening, so at the end of Friday, the E's in Aurora were run back to the Zephyr Pit at 14th St. in Chicago on the next eastbound Dinky, to be serviced/inspected and placed in Zephyr service, and the locos coming off Zephyr service would be assigned to Dinkys. One of the chores of the rotation would be the replacement of brake shoes, and this photo illustrates the E's showing off their new shoes as they were run back west to Aurora for the Monday morning rush hour.

The train behind this one would have about 5 E's and one coach. All (except the coach) would have blazing brake shoes as the approached the stop at the Naperville station (behind me in this photo). This usually happened late in the evening. I have a photo of this event, but it is just brake shoe glow. I imagine the engineer had an easy time with the schedule, I believe the loco's were all MU'd, so he probably had good acceleration.

Media information

Category
Vintage Passenger Train Photos - Diesel Era
Added by
Date added
View count
Comment count
Rating
0.00 star(s) 0 ratings

Share this media

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back