RRF Coffee Shop

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Good morning.
What is everybody planning for the upcoming weekend?

Thinking about maybe doing some railfanning. Even with the "Stay at home" order, I've got both UP and BNSF within walking distance. OK, I'd probably drive, but I can still get trackside in a couple of miles.

Normally, this time of year I'd be cranking up my wildlife photography, but it's too far away to do that right now.

In my case, a lot of the wildlife comes to me.
I took this photo of a hawk in our driveway, I thought it was better to shoot through the screen than open the window and have the hawk fly away before I coukd take a pic.
20200512_064503.jpg

Except for medical appointments, I must remain at home as I am in all three high risk groups for Covid-19. Fortunately I can take photos of birds and other critters in my backyard from the back deck. I post them up on Bob's photography website, the PNW Photo Forum.

https://pnwphotos.com/forum/index.php?threads/birds-of-edmonds-wa-2020.24615/

Not planning anything. But there is always the wanderlust gene. I’ll probably head up to the UP Blair sub. It’s been pretty quiet lately though. But a nice ride in the country would be nice.

Drone Disguised as Hummingbird Captures Incredible Footage of Monarch Butterfly Swarm

I totally thought this was a joke / Photoshop, but it's not!
1) That's really cool. 2) I wanna go there. 3) Where do I get a hummingbird camera drone? I can finally get good hummingbird photos.

When the auto parts store opens in a few hours, I need to go get some bolts so I can finish installing steps on my truck. I got the steps off Amazon, from their warehouse deal section. The steps were customer returns, from somebody that ordered the wrong ones. I got a significant savings from doing this, and got a bonus when I opened the box they came in. A Craftsman adjustable wrench fell out. Since it's worth much more than the six 12 cent bolts that were missing, I'll keep my mouth shut, and buy the bolts.

My 96 year old father who died last year around this time, never talked much about his service when we were kids. But in the last twenty years he would relate stories to the grand and great grandkids about some of things he went through. He was a humble man always down playing his part in ww2. I think a lot of men were like that. They had a job to do and they did it. Luckily my dad came out of the experience ok. Some did not of course. We remember all who served over the life of this fine country.

My 96 year old father who died last year around this time, never talked much about his service when we were kids. But in the last twenty years he would relate stories to the grand and great grandkids about some of things he went through. He was a humble man always down playing his part in ww2. I think a lot of men were like that. They had a job to do and they did it. Luckily my dad came out of the experience ok. Some did not of course. We remember all who served over the life of this fine country.

My Grandfather was part of the attack on Normandy on D-Day, and very rarely ever spoke of it. He was an active member of the VFW, he wasn't at all ashamed of his service. But he didn't like to talk about what happened, and never got into any specifics. He said something like "A lot of men were killed", but never mentioned whether he was involved. He had some kind of a medal for marksmanship, not saying he was a sniper or anything, just a basic marksman medal, but it was clear he knew how to handle a rifle. I think he some stuff happen that he didn't want to recall.

I have an area near my house that has a lot of Bald Eagles in the spring. I paid a visit, and the results were pretty good.

DSC_7190.jpg

My birding activities are still restricted to a sunny afternoon on my back deck. Photos are on Bob's photography website.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back