Posting picture size and formats?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ctclibby

Hi All
JPEG is the standard for posting pix - right? What about the physical size? Do you want 1024x768 -or- is there a max size to hit?
thanks!

todh

I believe the forum software will handle the sizing of any photos you post. The older software had you resize photos if they were too big. Now, everything seems to be as simple as select and post. I'm by no means what you would call computer literate and I have managed to get by. :rolleyes:

Hi All
JPEG is the standard for posting pix - right? What about the physical size? Do you want 1024x768 -or- is there a max size to hit?
thanks!

todh

The forum can handle the following: pdf, png, jpg & gif. Jpg is by far the most common file we get though, correct.

You don't need to re-size your images, the forum will do it for you. If they're over 1600 pixels wide, it will re-size to 1600. The forum will now handle any image that's under 60 mp. That's the vast majority of cameras. Shooting a Hasselblad with a digital back? Congrats, I'm jealous! I'm also certain you own software that can re-size your photos and you know how to use it.

If you're like me, and would rather do your own scaling on the images, size them for 1600 pixels and the forum won't shrink it.

Basically, it works just like FB. Just upload it, we'll do the rest. You can use the file selector, drag and drop or even use "copy and paste" to drop your photo in. We have tried to make it as easy as possible to post your images.

Last edited:
I believe the forum software will handle the sizing of any photos you post. The older software had you resize photos if they were too big. Now, everything seems to be as simple as select and post. I'm by no means what you would call computer literate and I have managed to get by. :rolleyes:

"as simple as select and post." That is exactly our intent. Make it very easy for everyone. Select and post, drag and drop or even copy and paste. You used to have to resize them, then select the files, and then click upload. Not any more, it does all that for you. though if you have a slow connection you may have to wait a moment for the upload to finish before you can post. But it initiates the upload automatically.

There probably is some massive file size that it would choke on, but if you're a serious photographer who's shooting massive images in raw, then yo can likely export them at a more reasonable size with a few clicks. So far, I've not run into a photo that the forum said was too large though.

Last edited:
Someone from the PNW Photo Forum just got his photo rejected for being too large. I told him to send a PM to Bob. I'll also direct him to this post.

Thanks Guys!

Smallest my camera does is 1920x1280 so Imagemagik will have to do some work before posting. A few images are nothing; but the 100's if not 1000's that I have definitely take up space.

I need to get my desktop up and operational out in the train cave and you should start seeing stuff from the Kootenai Sub. Big stuff is happening up here. BNSF is double-tracking from Spokane to the Flathead Tunnel. I don't know what they are gonna do with the canyon between Crossport and Yakt as there is not much room between the high rock banks and the river. Went by long bridge in Sandpoint day before yesterday and spied barges sitting on the East side which makes me think that we will have double-track across the lake too. We are currently seeing 50ish trains a day now through Libby. Time will tell.

Bill: met you years ago down at MP18!

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, based on the recent problem over on the photography forum, all of the forums now accept images up to 60 megapixels.

Not sure if your camera is under 60 megapixel? If you don't know that it is over 60 mp, then it's safe to say that it's not.

Aside from medium format, there's only one or two cameras out there over 60 mp, they're pro grade, cost pro money, and if you're paying $3,500 (body only, then you have to buy a lens!) for the Sony A7R for example, then you're pretty likely to be the kind of photographer who is going to know that you've got a 60 mp camera. :)

Last edited:
Since we're talking about photos, I'll also mention videos. We do not host any videos directly on the site. They require massive amounts of storage space and bandwidth.

However, you can very easily post videos that you host on another website. We support YouTube, Vimeo and Facebook videos, and possibly others than I'm overlooking.

Embedding a video is quite simple. Just past the URL. The forum software will recognize and embed the video in your post.

Went by long bridge in Sandpoint day before yesterday and spied barges sitting on the East side which makes me think that we will have double-track across the lake too. We are currently seeing 50ish trains a day now through Libby. Time will tell.

You are correct. After years of studies and public comments and Corps of Engineers review and approval, the bridge has finally been given final approval. Construction on the approaches stated last fall, and work on the actual bridge structure started last month.

The first signs of physical progress have been made in BNSF Railway’s long-awaited plan to build a second bridge, nearly a mile in length, running parallel to its existing bridge across Lake Pend Oreille near Sandpoint, Idaho. Preliminary grading began in September 2019 on both sides of the lake to prepare the approaches to the new bridge. Within the city of Sandpoint itself, grade work has included the construction of a pedestrian tunnel—paid for by BNSF—which will safely maintain public access through railroad property to a popular beach and lakeside trail.

Not to worry, my Pentax is only 24Mpix. I haven't done much in the video world; couple here and there. Welp, that might have changed; my daughter got me a drone for Christmas with HD camera. Now I can get roof and area details and not have to rely on Google Earth.

Just for info, no work on bridge structure that can be seen. Looks like the approaches are now close to grade, although no crane in site for the pileings... yet. I will be going to and from CDA multiple times in a week or so and will try to get progress pix. There has been talk of moving the Sandpoint station which now might happen as there is not much room for a second track. It is preserved as a 'historical' building, that is gonna be a can-o-worms.

todh

Sounds good, looking forward to seeing your photos! We can definitely use more photos here.
Moving the station could be a challenge but it’s amazing what they can do if they’re motivated! I was on site when the moved the one in Morton, WA and I’ve visited the Wallace, ID station. That was an amazing move, a two story brick structure they moved across a small river!

Working on those pix. Found that I needed to setup the shop portion of the train cave as I do not want to move stuff down for building RR; except for one chop saw. There is a mess as we piled everything on the floor upstairs making room downstairs. Now I need to clear floor space. Currently building tables with shelves for the various power equipment: Chop, Scroll, Band and table saws; routers and such. Fun Fun!
I also was in Wallace when they moved the station. Unfortunately, no camera in hand when that happened! Quite the move. At that time I was living in Spokane and Wallace was one of our party spots! Ya, well back when I was young and dumb.

Bill: met you years ago down at MP18!

You never know who you will meet along Sunset Ave. above MP 18. I have run into railfans from all over the world and one member from Florida.

I used to ski at Schweitzer Basin out of Sandpoint and Jackass out of Kellogg when I was in high school in Lewiston and college at WSU (Go Cougs!).
From your post, it sounds as though you live in the Spokane, Sandpoint, or Couer d'Alene area. From your user name, it looks like you live in Libby, MT. So where are you?

So where are you?

Hi Bill

Your right - Libby MT. I have lived all over Spokane during the growth years and college until 1987, then Snohomish, Everett and Arlington. Got to Libby in 2004.

I am still in Edmonds, about a five minute drive from MP 18. I have lived in the same house since 1991, which is unbelievable considering how often I moved before that.

Reactions: Bob
Working on those pix. Found that I needed to setup the shop portion of the train cave as I do not want to move stuff down for building RR; except for one chop saw. There is a mess as we piled everything on the floor upstairs making room downstairs. Now I need to clear floor space. Currently building tables with shelves for the various power equipment: Chop, Scroll, Band and table saws; routers and such. Fun Fun!
I also was in Wallace when they moved the station. Unfortunately, no camera in hand when that happened! Quite the move. At that time I was living in Spokane and Wallace was one of our party spots! Ya, well back when I was young and dumb.

Have you tried to upload any more photos? Wondering if you just got busy or if you're still seeing the issue?

Bob, haven't tried to upload pix. As I said, working on the train cave trying to setup shop. Once that happens I will have space for workstations and such. Ima old and slow - hang on tight!

todh

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back