Baltic states - videos

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Hello railfans!

I would like to share my videos here with you and maybe you fill find them interesting:) I didn't found where exactly I can place my video links, therefore I am placing them here - on this theme. Please accept my apologies if there is a theme somewhere in this forum where exactly I can share YT videos. If so, hope I will get redirected there :)

Lithuanian railways (LG) freight diesel locomotives 2M62K-0927 and 2M62K-0490 with a loaded freight train between Stasylos - Jasiunai stations, Lithuania

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotives 2M62K-1160 and 2M62K-0486 with a heavy loaded freight train (6000 tons) between Jasiunai - Valciunai stations, Lithuania

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotives 2M62M-0567 and 2M62M-0670 with a mixed freight train between Jasiunai - Valciunai stations, Lithuania

Good videos and good looking trains, especially the diesel engines.
What is the track side sign in the middle of the screen on video #2? I have never seen anything like it in the US.

Good videos and good looking trains, especially the diesel engines.
What is the track side sign in the middle of the screen on video #2? I have never seen anything like it in the US.

Hello Bill! Thank you for your comment. If you have noticed, on the 3rd video we have 2M62M type locomotives, which are with CATERPILLAR 3512 engines :) not that smoky like on 2nd video, where Russian diesel engines are used.

The sign marks dangerous place with speed limitation to 70 km/h on this case. This “dangerous” place was for about 100 meters only. Normally these signs are placed when infrastructure needs to be reconditioned and after repairs they are taken out. There are two different signs of marked dangerous place: starting and ending of dangerous place. Here you will find bellow images.

B60773DD-1998-4B16-A797-2A604E90939F.pngFFBBBF5E-D23E-4ABE-A2FB-A76988C030EF.png

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotive 2M62M-0567 with a heavy loaded freight train between Jasiunai - Valciunai stations, Lithuania

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotive 2M62K-0490 with a freight train, Paneriai, Lithuania

Belarusian railways (BCh) freight diesel locomotive 2TE10UK-???? with a heavy loaded freight train and Lithuanian railways (LG) freight diesel locomotive 2M62K-0490 with a mixed empty freight train, Valciunai station, Lithuania

More interesting trackside signs. The freight cars all look very North American. Once the engines pass the camera, the rest of trains look as though they are from the US.

I like the laundry drying outdoors in the first video. It gives it a human touch. I am a bird photographer and it looks like nest boxes mounted on high poles past the barn.

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotive 2M62K-0565 with a mixed freight train between Valciunai - Jasiunai stations, Lithuania

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) diesel locomotive M62K-1091 with a passenger train Kaliningrad - Saint-Petersburg, between Palemonas - Rokai stations, Lithuania

Diesel shunting locomotive TEM2-7043 (owned by private company UAB „Gargždų geležinkelis“) with a heavy loaded freight train (aprox 6000 tons), Draugyste railway station junction, Lithuania

The locomotive in the third video looks like an old ALCo. Is it of Russian design or origin? Locomotives of the old Soviet nion were based on ALCOs sold by the US to the USSR during WWII.

Can all M62K engines be used in both passenger and freight service?

I find these videos very interesting as I can remember when photographing trains behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War would have landed you in jail.

Last edited:
The locomotive in the third video looks like an old ALCo. Is it of Russian design or origin? Locomotives of the old Soviet nion were based on ALCOs sold by the US to the USSR during WWII.

I find these videos very interesting as I can remember when photographing trains behind the Iron Curtain during the Cold War would have landed you in jail.
That loco is called TEM2. TEM2 was copied from the units U.S. donated to Soviet Union in effort to stop it from collapsing during the WW2. You can find details here: http://www.4rail.net/reference_locos_diesel_tem2.php

M62 locos from earlier times were used in freight and also in passenger service. But the problem is that originally they don't have electro pneumatic braking. These are really needed for smooth braking, I mean when braking with passenger carriages. Only some of them were modernized in Lithuania and electropneumatic brakes were placed. We have only few of them still operating, but only for freight services. This time it was an exception because of a lack of passenger diesel locomotives.

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) diesel locomotive 2M62M-0538 with a fast passenger train Vilnius - Klaipeda, between Vilnius - Paneriai stations, Lithuania

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotive 2M62K-0922 with a passenger train Kaliningrad - Moscow, departs from Vilnius station, Lithuania

Latvian railways (LDz - Latvijas dzelzceļš) DMU DR1A-??? and DR1A-210 (route Riga - Zilupe) and freight diesel locomotive 2M62UM-0010 with a loaded mixed freight train between Krustpils - Plavinas stations, Latvia

Do trains and equipment run freely among the Baltic nations and Russia? By "freely", I mean that the engines and rolling stock are interchangeable with compatible track gauge, trucks, couplers, radios, signalling systems, etc.

I love the passenger train in the first video: fast with clean and matching engines and cars. The road bed and track in all the videos looks very well maintained.

Do trains and equipment run freely among the Baltic nations and Russia? By "freely", I mean that the engines and rolling stock are interchangeable with compatible track gauge, trucks, couplers, radios, signalling systems, etc.

I love the passenger train in the first video: fast with clean and matching engines and cars. The road bed and track in all the videos looks very well maintained.
Well, yes, mainly everything between border countries are interchangeable. I mean Russia, Latvia and Belarus. We all have the same couplers type SA-3, radio systems, signalling, track gauge which is 1520 mm and so on. Because of that trains can run freely between these countries and not only. I mean freight cars and passengers cars can move to all CIS countries. Only locomotives and engineers can enter other countries to the nearest main station. Leave the train there and get back with another train.
Differences are only with border country Poland. The railway gauge is 1435 mm (like in most European countries), different signalling, different couplers and more.
But in any case there are plenty nuances regarding all these things. I tried to explain you shortly :)

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotive 2M62K-1059 with a mixed freight train, Paneriai, Lithuania

Latvian railways (LDz - Latvijas dzelzceļš) freight diesel locomotive 2TE10U-0221 with a heavy loaded freight train between Krustpils - Daugava stations, Latvia

Belarusian railways (BCh) freight diesel locomotive 2TE10MK-2804 (Vitebsk depot) with a freight train between Valciunai - Jasiunai stations, Lithuania

Belarusian railways (BCh) freight diesel locomotive 2TE10U-0316 (TCH-8 Gomel) with a loaded freight train of about 5000 tons, between Jasiunai - Valciunai stations, Lithuania

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotives 2M62M-0674 and 2M62K-0922 with mixed freight trains between Kyviskes - Valciunai stations, Lithuania

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotive 2M62K-0486 with a mixed freight train between Valciunai - Jasiunai stations, Lithuania

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotive 2M62K-1160 with a mixed freight train between Valciunai - Jasiunai stations, Lithuania

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotives 2M62K-0486 and 2M62K-0922 with a heavy loaded freight train (6000 tons) between Jasiunai - Valciunai stations, Lithuania

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotive 2M62K-0565 with a mixed freight train, Vaidotai station, Lithuania

First video: What happened to the engines at about the 1:20 mark?

Third video: What is the track on the far left at the start of the video? Interesting auto cars with the "windows."

First video: What happened to the engines at about the 1:20 mark?

Third video: What is the track on the far left at the start of the video? Interesting auto cars with the "windows."

In first video you see the freight train is testing the brakes and right after that it was accelerating giving about a half of all power. So because the engineer immediately increased the power that much at once - you see such a black smoke coming out :-D

Regarding third video. You mean road track or railway track? Road track - it goes to a small village which is near railways.

Lithuanian railways (LG - Lietuvos gelezinkeliai) freight diesel locomotive 2M62M-0566 with a mixed freigh train and Electric multiple unit EJ575 (SKODA VAGONKA) meeting each other between Vilnius - Paneriai stations, Lithuania

Regarding third video. You mean road track or railway track? Road track - it goes to a small village which is near railways.

Thanks. I was asking about the railway track. I could not tell if it was a third mainline track or a track that diverted to another destination. The roadbed and track looked too heavy for it to be just a light branch line.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back