Welcome to our new server! Now "broadcasting" from Provo, UT

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
I just finished migrating the forum to a new server.

Seems like we do this about every two years, doesn’t it? Well, there’s a reason for that. Hosting companies are a lot like cable TV providers, they give you a low rate to start, then the rates go way up when the two year contract ends.

So we’re on a new host, faster server, more memory, and better bandwidth. This should improve forum speed and performance.

Last edited:
So this morning I got curious as to where the new server that I leased was located, so I did some googling and tracked the IP address.

It turns out that it's located in Provo, UT. Located south of Salt Lake City, Provo is most definitely a railroad town, with a long involvement in the history of the Union Pacific and especially the Denver & Rio Grande Western.

A google maps search on the address shows that the server building is located right across the street from the big railroad yard in the center of town.

I think that's pretty dang cool, I can't think of a more fitting place for a railroad and model railroad website to be located.

Wonder how much they'd charge me to put a webcam on the roof, point it at the yard, and launch a live feed? :)

Wonder how much they'd charge me to put a webcam on the roof, point it at the yard, and launch a live feed? :)

You might suggest they do it themselves as a way of attracting other railroad oriented websites to use their service.

You might suggest they do it themselves as a way of attracting other railroad oriented websites to use their service.

All 10 of them? :)

Bluehost is a web hosting company owned by Endurance International Group. It is one of the 20 largest[1] web hosts, collectively hosting well over 2 million domains with its sister companies, HostMonster, FastDomain and iPage.[2] The company operates its servers in-house in a 50,000 square feet (4,600 m2) facility in Provo, Utah, which is now shared with sister company HostMonster.[3] Bluehost employs over 700 people in its Utah facility.[4]

700 employees. 2 million domains. They don't even know we exist. Or care. (Don't get me wrong, the customer service has been excellent, but we're too small to be even the tiniest blip on their financial radar.)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back