Amtrak Cascade Derailment at Dupont, WA

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Having 7-10 trips observing the line, and then 3 trips actually operating is quite the qualifying runs. More than a freight engineer would typically get on a route they weren't qualified on.

Not sure what a road foreman would have added as it's not like the road foreman had operated over the line in revenue service previously. And there was a second person in the cab, who was learning the territory. Seems they weren't paying attention either.

I understand you are personally connected to this and the loss is a tragedy and hindsight is 20/20, but just as the engineer in Philly, the engineer lost situational awareness and it cost 3 people their lives.

According to several of the Amtrak crew members some of the training consisted of riding in the rear cab at night. In my opinion you will learn almost nothing that way. As a truck driving I know it takes several trips over a particular highway IN THE DAYLIGHT, not at night, to begin to know a route. Amtrak seems to have tried to fast-track the training to get the route open sooner.

It appears very likely that the amount and quality of training provided will be a major factor. I suspect that the engineer will take the majority of the blame, as he lost situational awareness, but his seeming lack of familiarity will be called into question as well.

It appears very likely that the amount and quality of training provided will be a major factor. I suspect that the engineer will take the majority of the blame, as he lost situational awareness, but his seeming lack of familiarity will be called into question as well.
Have you spoken to the engineer since the derailment, Bob?

I can't imagine this hasn't affected him.

Have you spoken to the engineer since the derailment, Bob?

I can't imagine this hasn't affected him.

No, I have not. He and I are purely acquaintances, so we rarely spoke beforehand either, even though our paths cross online a lot.

He has recently reappeared online, but I’ve had no personal conversations with him.

I’m sure it affects him greatly and will for the rest of his life. I hope he can deal with it OK

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back