The Nebraska Central Railroad Thread

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Railfan40

I have quite a bit of catching up to do on my Nebraska Central pictures so I'm just going to put them all in one thread and add to it in the future.

The first set was taken on July 11, 2014. The Ord Local started its trip to Grand Island with just 4 cars behind SD40 6331 and SD40-2 6795.

DSC00885.JPG
DSC00889.JPG
DSC00894.jpg
DSC00900.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
A little later on the Ord Local arrives and begins switching the Green Plains Renewable Energy facility. Unfortunately this is where the chase ended for the day because a road crew was repaving the Highway 22 crossing near Scotia and M.O.W. held the train at Green Plains until the crossing was safe to cross.

DSC00901.JPG
DSC00905.JPG
DSC00910.JPG

I had another chase of the Ord Local on September 24, 2014. This time the train was heading North from Grand Island to Ord. The first photo was taken just North of St. Paul and the other two were taken around the Chalk Mines East of Scotia.

DSC00968.JPG
DSC00970.jpg
DSC00973.jpg

Next up was a December 29th trip up to Norfolk to chase the switch job around. I took a shot of one of Nucor's remote switch engines and a few of NCRC 1020 and 1024 working at Nucor and Norfolk Yard.

DSC01076.JPG
DSC01077.JPG
DSC01089.JPG
DSC01090.JPG

A few more from 12/29/14. First one is 1020, 1024, and 909 in Norfolk Yard. The others are 908, 8102, 2002, 8057, and 8132 resting in Oconee before the evening trains to Preferred Sands and Albion.

DSC01092.JPG
DSC01093.JPG
DSC01094.JPG
DSC01095.JPG

The rest of the roster shots from Oconee on 12/29/14 and then 6333 and 2001 on 1/25/2015. 6333 and 2001 were taking the weekend off in Rising City before powering the ADM Turn the following Monday.

DSC01096.JPG
DSC01097.JPG
DSC01098.JPG
DSC01099.JPG

Great Stuff. Back in March, I followed the Ord Local to Ord. I didn't take any photos that day, but it was fun to see the line. I can't wait to get back out there when I have time to railfan and take photos!

Thank you everyone for all the kind comments!

My next set is from 1/31/15 in Central City. Here I found NCRC 1005 sitting in the old BN yard. Nebraska Central discontinued service over the Palmer sub in March of 2012 and now spot the cars of molasses and other feed supplement products in the old BN yard and truck the products to Performance Plus in Palmer. Because of the light rail NCRC is required to leave a 4 axle locomotive in Central City to spot the Palmer cars when they bring them in on the Stromsburg Local.

Later the same day I found "Jaws" and the ADM Turn resting for the weekend in Stromsburg. The ADM Turn runs M-F night carrying corn from Hordville, Polk, Stromsburg, Shelby, Rising City, Yanka, or Brainard to David City then they run on the BNSF Bellwood Sub to ADM in Columbus and then return to one of those elevators.

DSC01134.JPG
DSC01140.JPG
DSC01141.JPG
DSC01143.JPG

On 3/24/15 I chased the Ord local on its way South to Grand Island. It was a very cloudy and rainy day, but some of my photos were still ok.

DSC01225.JPG
DSC01229 copy.JPG
DSC01233 copy.JPG
DSC01234.JPG

As you can tell it was a real high revenue day with only one car bound for Grand Island after 11 covered hoppers were spotted for sand loading in Elba and North of St. Paul.

DSC01244 copy.JPG
DSC01245 copy.JPG
DSC01246.JPG

Where are they spotting the cars in Elba? Last time I was there none of the sidings looked intact.

The old elevator siding was stubbed off at Main St. so it's still there on the East side. Here's a few photos I've taken of where they load the cars.

DSC00156.JPG
DSC00161.JPG
DSC01238.JPG

Those signals look dark. Was this old Rock Island Railroad line or who did they buy or lease it from? I imagine it's only dispatched as TWC.

Those signals look dark. Was this old Rock Island Railroad line or who did they buy or lease it from? I imagine it's only dispatched as TWC.
Most the NCRC runs on old UP lines. TWC on all lines as far as I know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

The signals you saw actually show the alignment of the switches at the Ord ethanol plant. If you look close in one of the photos you can see that it's lit up yellow. NCRC uses them at quite a few industries and have some different ones at some derail locations. They help a lot when they have to spot unit trains at night.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back