Fictional MWC Railroad Paint Scheme Survey

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ECIRailfan

Hi all!

I'm currently developing a fictional Class 1 railroad, the Midwest Connecting. More info will come with the soon-to-exist website, but right now, I'm working on choosing a paint scheme for the equipment. I've narrowed down my choices to six, all based on a combination of Rock Island's maroon and "bankruptcy blue". I've made a survey to see what people prefer. It's only two questions, and shouldn't take more than a minute at most. If you could please spare the time, or want to share any thoughts here, please do!

Here's a link to the survey: http://goo.gl/forms/L4LK1vtygc

Thanks!

ECIRailfan

I completed the survey. Although I thought the solid maroon was a bit plain, I voted for one of those schemes as I did not like the solid blue ends. Solid blue might look good on the front if it were broken up by the logo you have on some of the schemes.

Would you consider blue "safety stripes' on each end as an alternative? I understand safety stripes would be harder to paint or decal, but they would liven up the ends and look like reflective safety tape. You could also run safety tape along the side sill as either a solid horizontal strip, alternating diagonal stripes, or regularly spaced squares like the original BN scheme.

If you really want the diesels to resemble those of the Rock Island, each one would be in a different paint scheme. ;)

I completed the survey. Although I thought the solid maroon was a bit plain, I voted for one of those schemes as I did not like the solid blue ends. Solid blue might look good on the front if it were broken up by the logo you have on some of the schemes.

Would you consider blue "safety stripes' on each end as an alternative? I understand safety stripes would be harder to paint or decal, but they would liven up the ends and look like reflective safety tape. You could also run safety tape along the side sill as either a solid horizontal strip, alternating diagonal stripes, or regularly spaced squares like the original BN scheme.

If you really want the diesels to resemble those of the Rock Island, each one would be in a different paint scheme. ;)

Good idea! Will try that out...look for another reply with some images by the end of the day. :)

MWC6267Stripe.jpg

Here's a version, with safety striping on the short hood.

I like the one above with the front safety stripes and yellow side sill. I would add blue safety strips on the rear end like you did on the front end, only running the opposite direction ("peak" shaped instead of "v" shaped). That way the stripes will appear to be running in the same direction when the unit is viewed from the side, like in your illustrations.

I like the MWC logo on some of your schemes. Perhaps you can use it on small rail yard switch engines, cabless "B" and "slug" units, transfer cabooses, freight cars, MoW equipment, etc

I'll admit to having a special interest in creating custom railroad paint schemes. Over thirty years ago I helped design the logo for a model railroad club I belonged to in Sacramento.
http://saccentral.railfan.net/index.html

The logo is still in use by the club. We incorporated the California state capital building in Sacramento into a B&O type logo. The club had the decals made by Rail Graphics. Now days you may be able to produce all the graphics and decals using your home computer and printer.
http://saccentral.railfan.net/history.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the one above with the front safety stripes and yellow side sill. I would add blue safety strips on the rear end like you did on the front end, only running the opposite direction ("peak" shaped instead of "v" shaped). That way the stripes will appear to be running in the same direction when the unit is viewed from the side, like in your illustrations.

I like the MWC logo on some of your schemes. Perhaps you can use it on small rail yard switch engines, cabless "B" and "slug" units, transfer cabooses, freight cars, MoW equipment, etc

I'll admit to having a special interest in creating custom railroad paint schemes. Over thirty years ago I helped design the logo for a model railroad club I belonged to in Sacramento.
http://saccentral.railfan.net/index.html

The logo is still in use by the club. We incorporated the California state capital building in Sacramento into a B&O type logo. The club had the decals made by Rail Graphics. Now days you may be able to produce all the graphics and decals using your home computer and printer.
http://saccentral.railfan.net/history.html

Thanks for the advice...that was another question of mine, whether to go with the V like some shortlines, or to go with the "peak", like the BN. I hope to incorporate the MWC logo on rolling stock...never thought about using it on switchers/slugs. That does sound like a good idea, since they do have less space for lettering.

What you've done is pretty cool as well. That logo looks sharp!

Another suggestion: Create a motto or slogan for your railroad that you can put on various pieces of equipment. If your road offers TOFC service, create a name for the service or a name for the TOFC "hotshot" freight that can go on the trailers, such as the C&NW's "Falcon Service" back in the early 70's.

My friend and I painted our Baldwin Sharknose diesels for the Sacrament Central. I used a smaller, more traditional "Sacramento Central Railroad" on the sides of the A units along with safety slogans and a "Radio Equipped" logo. My diesels look like the original paint scheme from the factory.

My friend, on the other hand, used a modern, large SACRAMENTO CENTRAL on the side of his A unit without any safety slogans or "Radio Equipped" logo. While retaining the same basic paint scheme, his diesel looked like a unit which had been repainted by the railroad.

My B units did not carry the road name but only the logo and motto, similar to the Northern Pacific's A and B units. I even "borrowed" the NP's motto to create "Main Street of the west" for the Sacramento Central.

1.JPG 4.JPG

5.JPG 6.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Just about there, IMHO. Lets see what it looks like with the safety stripes on the front of the diesel in the "peak" pattern and the safety stripes on the rear of the diesel in the "V" pattern.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back