How much is the trainmen guarantee for CP rail?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Yardlimits6902

Hey everyone,
Does anyone know how much the guaranteed extra list is for conductors at CP Rail in the US? I'm a conductor in the North Eastern part of the US and was given a conditional job off for the CP in Enderlin ND. Does anyone know much about the jobs out of Enderlin...mostly road trains or is there a lot of industry and traveling road switcher jobs? Thanks!

your first 90 days you will be doing both switching in yard and over the road. Actually you will be rotated all around. once marked up pending on your area you may be able to bid for switcher or conductor? Not sure about pay rate that depends on your area cost of living. It may seem high but most of N. Dakota is oil so cost of living is much higher. You'll drive to St. Paul be placed at a hotel call country inn suites. Then drive or take shuttle bus from hotel to pigs island where CP training center is. there is a bar called: Riley's down the street from hotel going north on Century ave. cool place! I went to S.Dakota for a while.

your first 90 days you will be doing both switching in yard and over the road. Actually you will be rotated all around. once marked up pending on your area you may be able to bid for switcher or conductor? Not sure about pay rate that depends on your area cost of living. It may seem high but most of N. Dakota is oil so cost of living is much higher. You'll drive to St. Paul be placed at a hotel call country inn suites. Then drive or take shuttle bus from hotel to pigs island where CP training center is. there is a bar called: Riley's down the street from hotel going north on Century ave. cool place! I went to S.Dakota for a while.

Thanks for the info...do you know how long the school last? They seem to be needing conductors there bad...wonder if it's just because of a lot of buisness or what? Thanks!

first 3 weeks is basic hand signals learning how to kick cars. my favorite was getting kicked while hanging on to car and trying to stop it close to traffic cone. My class made game of it. First one closest with out passing it wins(nothing but a pat on back), But fun! Must pass test after first 3 wks.. Once done you drive to assigned station. After that you spend the next several wks. O.T.J.. Switching, Conducting, Communications, Ect.. Usally a total of about 90 days in total. But make sure you get ALL your books! Because if you don't make a 90% on your test. They will send you home!
My down fall was every body in my class stayed in St. Paul, MN.. Except me!I was sent to Huron, S.D. and not given the same books. So when I came back for test I failed. first time my score was 73%. I complained about not getting the same books and being I was sent to Dark territory and the only one to be. I had 90 dys. to study and now they wanted me to study a book in a 1wk. time?? Second chance @ test I got a 83-85% and they still failed me. So MAKE SURE YOU GET ALL YOUR BOOKS!! ever since I have tried getting back on a railroad. The need for conductors is because of the oil boom their and this job doesn't give you much time for personal life. Plus its out in the middle of nowhere so its not for everybody. A lot drop out during training or quit later on. GOOD LUCK!! keep me posted?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's around 6000 a month at 100% of the pay rate. Which you won't get to for 4 years(?) if you don't have any discipline during that time. There are some road switch jobs out of Enderlin but mostly road trains. That being said I will tell you this. If you don't have a place to live out there beforehand DO NOT GO! Housing is incredibly tight out there and North Dakota is no place to live in your car especially during the winter. You said you're a conductor out east. Are you currently furloughed? Because I'll tell you CP sucks right now. We have a tyrannical CEO who has stated he will run this rr on a culture of fear and brother he ain't kidding! You know why they're hurting so badly for men in the Dakotas and St Paul. Because they all quit! There's better outfits out there. Check out Montana Rail Link couple guys I know left CP for there and love it! I'd do it but I got too much time in here and I'm basically a pussy when it comes to change. But if you do good luck and stay out of Riley's if you want to pass your GCOR test!

Hey man how did that work out for you up there? I was thinking about apply to CP up there but not sure if it is worth the move.

Forget CP! A culture of fear and intimidation is CEO's Hunter Harrisons motto. My son was a conductor at CP for 5 years and quit. Most of the guys he worked with have quit as well. Then there's lots that were fired.
That's why they're short of people.

I just interviewed in Minnesota @ Twin cities rail. while their I seen my old instructor from CP rail. He too was looking to bail on CP rail said its gotten worse since 2 yrs. ago.
I am not sure if he instructed 2 yrs. or 4? But he said when he tried to enlist as a instructor again. they told him that " he was not qualified enough". But he was before??
He also testified that all whom where in my class either quit or got fired also.

Wow man sounds like its a bad outfit, guess I'll avoid applying for it. Was really interested in it guess I will look elsewhere. Do you know what these guys are getting fired for? RedZone, attendance, just bogus rule violations?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back