What options are there for Selling RR Collectibles

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

The back story is: Time to downsize after 50 years of collecting.

Will I be giving it away? Or are eBay, CraigsList, etc. viable options.
Some railroadiana, many magazines, HO cars, HO track, HO structures.

Thanks for sharing your experiences...

Bob

Forum Host
Staff member
The back story is: Time to downsize after 50 years of collecting.

Will I be giving it away? Or are eBay, CraigsList, etc. viable options.
Some railroadiana, many magazines, HO cars, HO track, HO structures.

Thanks for sharing your experiences...
It all depends on what it is, how bad you want rid of it, how much you want for it, and how much effort you're willing to put into it.

"Some Railroadiana" Without knowing more, not a clue. Do you have the builder's plate off a Big Boy? Or something from the Schrader catalog that's nice, but very common? Rarity and how collectible it is are the key here.

"many magazines"

You won't like this answer. They're worthless. The online archive and DVDs of the major publications mean that hard copies are not worth the paper they're printed on in most cases. Donate them to a museum or model railroad club or whatever, IF you can find one that will take them. (They'll often sell them in the gift shop for like $1 each to raise a bit of extra money) The exception would be if you've got vintage issues or something rare. I gave about 30 years of Model Railroader Magazine to a local museum a few years back, and it cost me money, since I bought plastic totes to put them in. But the museum liked the donation.

"HO cars, HO track, HO structures" Again, depends on what you have, but for just about any of that you'll find somebody on eBay who will buy them from you. Keep in mind that old brass track won't get you much of anything. As an example:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Atlas-HO...951384?hash=item2cd492cc58:g:2mQAAOSwkIBbAB3v

Last edited:
Thanks for the wisdom and experience.

Magazines will go to a club or museum. Looks like eBay is better for misc HO stuff, as CraigsList seems to be 'localized'.
Railroadiana: mostly paper suff; timetables, train orders, rule books, forms, etc. Again, eBay might be the best option.

Might donate the old time tables/train orders etc... to the museum that has or portrays that railroad. Books sell on Amazon (I have bought a few RxR ones).

Check AdHunter to see many Craigslist listings I use that often to find things in other states.

All of Craigs also.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com