What Do You Shoot With? - 2010 Edition

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

What brand and type of camera do you use?

• I Use ONLY Film Cameras

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I Use ONLY Digital Cameras

Votes: 42 55.3%
  • I Use BOTH Film & Digital Cameras

Votes: 13 17.1%
  • Agfa

• Canon

Votes: 47 61.8%
  • Casio

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Contax

• Epson

• Fuji

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • HP

• JVC

• Kodak

• Konica Minolta

• Kyocera

• Leica

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Nikon

Votes: 14 18.4%
  • Olympus

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Panasonic

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Pentax

Votes: 9 11.8%
  • Richo

• Samsung

• Sanyo

• Sigma

• Sony

• Toshiba

• Other Brand

• Total voters

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
Since the last time we polled members (2004) for what brand of camera that they use quite a bit of time has passed. To that end we're curious to see what members are shooting with these days.

This is a multiple choice poll so you may choose more than one brand to reflect what gear you have. Additionally, since I know that there are some (like myself) who still occasionally shoot film, I've left those choices intact from the previous poll. In addition to selecting your brand, be sure to pick one of the first three choices as well.

In addition to voting in the poll, please feel free to post exactly what you are shooting with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
I'll kick things off. Currently in my camera bag is a Canon Rebel XT that I've been shooting with since 2005. I also still occasionally burn a few rolls of film through my Canon Rebel X film body (purchased the end of '98) and a Pentax K1000 I purchased from a buddy a few years ago.

I've also been socking away my per diem ($3.50/day) from out here, and additional money towards a 5D Mk II. I should be picking that up around December/January time frame.

I sure like my canon A-2000 10mp i'm amazed at what this camera does,for a point and shoot and in its price range,it's really nice and i understand better, that most in its class.

Gary38

I just got a canon EOS 50D with a 28-135 EF lens and i like it very much. I was shooting a Pentax K-2000 but the focus was just not fast enough a lot of blurred pictures with that said it not to knock Pentax it took some good ones to but let me tell what have not had one blurred photo with the canon EOS 50D focus is fast now. I learing how to use it kind of tricky but i'll get the hang of it.:D

kenw

5th Generation Texian
Specifically a Canon 50d, and recently I've moved over to primes, mostly a Canon 50/1.4 and a Sigma 20/1.8. Next most used would be the Canon 100/2.8. Previously I used the Canon 28-135IS almost exclusively and still highly recommend it for railfanning. The most important accessory would be circular polarizers, every train shooter MUST have one if your camera can take one!

Altho my tripod is with me any time I'm out I rarely use it as in an urban environment it is a bit cumbersome and slows me down. In the boonies, I'll use it more where I'm more likely to camp out at a single spot all day. fwiw, it's is a Bogen/Manfrotto with their older HD Heavy Duty ball /pan head.

Yep, those Magic Lantern Guides are very worthwhile, have one for the 50d and have had one for every camera I've ever had starting with my 1st 'good' camera, the Canon Elan (film).

Don't let me hear anyone dis those point-n-shoots, I've used my wife's Canon A540 and the quality is fabulous. You may lose some versatility, but the results are great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sony Alpha300 DSLR with a 50mm F1.8 prime.
Haven't taken this lens off the body since I got it in early May--it's good at just about everything I ask of a camera.

Also, a Sony F828 for infrared shooting.

Very good Sam.....what caliber?:confused::rolleyes:

I'm a Nikon guy:

D300 / D90 / D200 ( converted to infrared B&W )
18-200mm VR Nikkor
11-16mm f2.8 Tokina ( this is a very impressive lens )
12-24 f4 Nikkor - sharp in the center - fuzzy on the sides - don't like it.
17-55mm f2.8 Nikkor
70-200mm f2.8 VR Nikkor
300mm f4 Nikkor
80-400mm VR Nikkor - Has some limitations / don't use it much
105mm f2.8 VR Micro Nikkor
60mm f2.8 Micro Nikkor

Panasonic / Leice D-Lux3 point and shoot

Waiting for Nikon to come out with an updated version of the full frame D700 - might be coming soon.:D

Canon 50D and XT. EF 28-135mm IS and 18-55 (stock) lens'. Although my 50D performed well at first, lately the quality has been sub-par (not terrible, but not like it used to be). My XT takes better photos, so I am going to temporarily go back to that so I can find out the cause of the 50D issues. I'm wondering if maybe it was damaged or something. I don't remember that happening though.

UP Wings

It's All About the Wings
I still shoot Nikon:

Nikon D70
18-70 f3.5-4.5
80-200 f2.8
35 f2 prime.

I am looking to replace the D70 in the foreseeable future, probably with the new D90 replacement due out in September.

Leia

Just Me :)
Canon XTi*, Sony DSCR-1 (hybrid I use for low light and night photography) and Panasonic (video).

Canon lenses I use:
  • 60mm F2.8 for portraits and macros (probably one of my top two lenses)
  • 70-300m F4.5 (not the best)
  • 28-135mm F3.5
  • 10-22m for wide angle @ F3.5 (I LOVE this lens)
  • 70-200m (George's F2.8 that I also LOVE)

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com