Wharton Switch - Questions

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Oxygen

Hey folks, not sure if this the correct place to post this but maybe you can send me in the right direction.

I came across this old school switch while riding my bicycle. I was looking all over Google but can't seem to find any information on it.

A lot of markings indicate that it's made by Wharton, which I can't find anything about on the internet. Also, most parts are labeled 100 P.S.

Another marking on the switch says "53/4 AJAX PATENTED MARCH 21 1911 53/4"

unnamed (7).jpg unnamed (6).jpg

unnamed (5).jpg unnamed (4).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Something is missing here...

That seems like a really odd step in the evolution of rail switching.

Here is another source that "tries" to explain how the Wharton switch works, but I must be missing something.

http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/railway/wharton.htm Scroll down to the drawing.

I'm assuming the train is moving from left to right on the drawing.

I can't determine how the flange of the wheel on the rail B-B ever comes up and over B-B on to K-H'. Obviously the other wheel flange will go on to G-H, and I get it that the wheels both rise 1-3/4"--once they are on the divergent rails--but how does the flange on the B-B rail ever move over? Can it be brute force? Wouldn't that put a lot of wear on the flanges and the gauge-side of rail right there where the flanges are riding up?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Art

Look at the angle of that frog! Is that a #5 or #6?? Wow!

Where is this switch located? The Ajax thing is a common cast Manganese guardrail. Those are common.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back