Trains of Edmonds, Washington

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

I cannot pass up opportunities to photograph older units. Monday (3-11-19) I caught three of them leading a northbound (tt/east) freight past MP 18 and Sunset Ave.

01.jpg

136 = GP60M-3

02.jpg

1406 = SD60 Triclops

03.jpg

279 = SD75M

04.jpg

05.jpg

Saturday afternoon (3-16-2019) my son and I took a break from watching basketball's March Madness to go down and see Marsh March Madness. While we were there my son photographed two southbound (tt/west) freights.

I don't know what the formula for the use of rear DPU's, as neither train had them.

Five units up front, none are on the rear.

7D2_0007.JPG

Still looking for BNSF 9999.

7D2_0025.JPG

7D2_0031.JPG

The second train had a lot of heavy lumber cars from Canada, but no rear DPU's.

7D2_0044.JPG

I noticed the Rocky Mountaineer is back on it's Saturday run from Vancouver BC to Seattle. Last Saturday it had an Amtrak unit on the point. Has anyone been watching it come through Edmonds or Everett? If so, any estimates of times it passes through either location north or southbound? Does it take the route past the (new) Everett station/Delta Yard or through bayside yard?

Thanks in advance for any information.

I have not been down to the tracks recently, so I cannot help you. Look for the time of the Seattle departure on their website and add 30 minutes for a guesstimate as to when it will pass through Edmonds on its way back to Vancouver.

Health issues have kept me from leaving the house this spring and for much of the summer. Wednesday afternoon (7-17-19) my son and I finally made it down to the marsh to photograph birds and passing trains.

Chicago bound Empire Builder (Amtrak #8).

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Southbound (tt/west) local. Note the trio of bright shiny Geeps and the four Boeing bunker cars.

IMG_0003.jpg

I still can't hold the camera level like my son can.

IMG_0004.jpg

IMG_0005.jpg

From the Diesel Shop:

2018: GP38-2

2076: GP38AC

2768: GP39-2/3.

Last edited:
Likewise, missed your regular postings of Edmonds and train traffic. I'm wondering where those super-sized Boeing boxes are headed. They look outsized for the loading gauge and must have travel restrictions. Perhaps they can make it as far as Renton and the Boeing 737 assembly plant there?

I'm wondering where those super-sized Boeing boxes are headed.

Those are empties from the Everett Boeing plant. The Boeing job brings them down to Mukilteo. The Goldbar Turn takes them to Interbay. When enough empty Boeing cars from Mukilteo and Renton get put together at Interbay, they head east.

Those are empties from the Everett Boeing plant. The Boeing job brings them down to Mukilteo. The Goldbar Turn takes them to Interbay. When enough empty Boeing cars from Mukilteo and Renton get put together at Interbay, they head east.

Thanks for clarifying that.

I have mentioned the dwindling number of Cascade green diesels in my area. Thursday (8-2-19) I saw two on the southbound (tt/west) Goldbar Turn as it rolled past the marsh.

IMG_0001.jpg

3009 = GP40M
330 = GP60B
3026 = GP40E

IMG_0002.jpg

The train consisted of tank cars followed by five Boeing bunker cars.

IMG_0003.jpg

I like to assemble jigsaw puzzles. The Microsoft Puzzles feature which came with my computer allows me to make jigsaw puzzles from my photos. I have made and assembled several from photos I have taken of trains from Sunset Ave. and the marsh.

A southbound (tt/west) fifteen car passenger special passed through town Wednesday evening (8-17-19) while my son and I were photographing birds at the marsh. My son took these photos with the 1Dx + 100-400L II telephoto zoom. I wish I had put a wide angle zoom on the camera, as shots of the entire train would have looked better than these shots of individual cars.

Power: BNSF 5540 & 6692
Business cars: Eagle Pass, Glorieta Pass, Snoqualmie Pass, Mt. San Antonio (power generator car), Trinchera Pass (never heard of this pass and have no idea where that is located), Raton Pass, Marias Pass, Stampede Pass, Topeka, Missouri River, Gerald Grinstein, Lake Superior, Canyon View, Valley View, and Glacier View.

01.jpg

02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

05.jpg

A northbound (tt/east) freight passed through a few minutes after the passenger special. Notable was 709, a BNSF War Bonnet unit, It is the first one I have seen in a long time.

11.jpg

12.jpg

According to the The Diesel Shop, 612 is a former Santa Fe AC44CM that has been rebuilt to AC traction with A1A trucks.

13.jpg

Sunday (8-11-19) at the marsh. BNSF War Bonnet 759 was in the consist of a Canada bound coal train.

IMG_0001.jpg

IMG_0002.jpg

Rear DPU.

IMG_0003.jpg

IMG_0004.jpg

Last edited:
Eddie Bauer/Executive/Grinstein Green (pick one) SD70MAC 9815 was in the consist of a northbound (tt/east) freight.

IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0006.jpg

Everett bound Sounder Mariners' special. Attendance at the games has been very low as the Mariners are playing like a Triple A minor league team.

IMG_0007.jpg

An Itsed65 super telephoto (5DIII + 500L telephoto + 2x III teleconverter) shot of SD70ACe 9041 leading a northbound (tt/east) freight. The fronts of these units remind me of the old ALCo Century series.
IMG_0008.jpg

Last edited:

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back