Soviet ghosts and survivors in Estonia's Oil shale region

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

RailScapes

Hello again everyone,
One day I will get around to finishing my India posts but for now its onto a much more recent trip (two weeks ago) to entirely new territory for me, the former USSR. I spent a week photographing trains in Estonia and Latvia. Unexpectedly my favorite shots are from the relatively unknown oil shale lines in Estonia's far east which operate entirely with Soviet built TEM2 locomotives. Perhaps its because the area's history can be linked to the broader history of the region and the interest extends beyond just trains. The entire report can be read here with a preview below.
http://railscapestravel.com/2018/07/02/3151/

The main hub of the Oil Shale lines is Ahtme yard where the mainline to the powerstation meets the branch to the massive Estonia mine. The mainline once extended further but has since been idled after the mines played out. A few scenes below near Ahtme.
IMG_9721.jpg

IMG_9691.jpg

Returning form the Estonia mine with loads
IMG_9712.jpg

The other main point of access to the lines is Viivikonna, a ghost town which was once home to 2000 people who worked in the mines there. Today most of the town lays in ruins and only about 90 people live there today. Since this is a rail site I will leave out the urban exploration shots but be sure to check out the blog if you are interested.
IMG_9921.jpg

IMG_9834.jpg

IMG_0020.jpg

Thanks for looking and hope you enjoyed the photos!

Thanks for the report, and great photos! Never seen any Estonian railroading. Certainly not the first name that comes to mind when thinking of Europe.

Hi,

Lovely, thanks for the report! :)

Sadly freight traffic is way down in Estonia, since the relations with Russia went south in 2014...

@ USSHelm:
Estonia is known for running the only proper US 2nd hand export locos in Europe. 58 C36-7i, formerly operating for Missouri Pacific and later Union Pacific, were imported in 2003, as well as 19 C30-7Ai, previously in Conrail, CSX and Norfolk Southern service.

Here are some reports from 2010:
A Brief Baltic Visit 2010 - 2: Tallinn, August 18 (50 p.)

A Brief Baltic Visit 2010 - 3: Lugansk and GE diesel I, August 17 (50 p.)

A Brief Baltic Visit 2010 - 4: Lugansk and GE diesel II, August 17 (50 p.)

and 2011:
Diesel - Steam - Electric: DE FR UK EE LV (12 p.)

Hi,

Lovely, thanks for the report! :)

Sadly freight traffic is way down in Estonia, since the relations with Russia went south in 2014...

@ USSHelm:
Estonia is known for running the only proper US 2nd hand export locos in Europe. 58 C36-7i, formerly operating for Missouri Pacific and later Union Pacific, were imported in 2003, as well as 19 C30-7Ai, previously in Conrail, CSX and Norfolk Southern service.

Here are some reports from 2010:
A Brief Baltic Visit 2010 - 2: Tallinn, August 18 (50 p.)

A Brief Baltic Visit 2010 - 3: Lugansk and GE diesel I, August 17 (50 p.)

A Brief Baltic Visit 2010 - 4: Lugansk and GE diesel II, August 17 (50 p.)

and 2011:
Diesel - Steam - Electric: DE FR UK EE LV (12 p.)

Roni, its not the constant stream of oil trains as you saw when there (btw: I poured through your reports many times before going :) ) but freight traffic is not that bad. Actually today the Narva line has about dried up while traffic to the Latvian border has increased. The railways exclusively uses the C36-7i's now, all the Soviet built power you shot has either been retired or sent to a different country (the blue 2TE116's are working in Latvia now). I think I averaged about 5 trains a day on the Tapa-Tartu line. Of course this means one must rent a car nowdays versus just being able to ride trains and wait as you did, a much cheaper option!
Thank to both of you for the compliments, Estonia is indeed underrated.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back