SD80ACe 8080 will start the tests on MRS (Brazil)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

pedrop

A Railfan in Brazil
P_20190208_191111_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20190208_191815_vHDR_On.jpg
P_20190208_191803_vHDR_On.jpg

These are probably not narrow gauge as they both have two 3-axle trucks instead of four 2-axle trucks.

Bruce

The "tropical roof" reminds me of the giant sunshades that were put on the old Baldwin cab units after they went into service in Argentina.

SD80ACe and SD70ACe at P1-07 yard waiting to start the tests with ore trains.
Pic from my friend Rony

SD70ACe 7044 with the same special air intake ducts.
IMG-20190214-WA0006.jpg
IMG-20190214-WA0002.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20190214-WA0006.jpg
    IMG-20190214-WA0006.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 388
Last edited:
Why the special air intake duct? Does the railroad have a lot of tunnels?

The special air intake duct reminds me of the old "tunnel motor" SD45's and SD40-2's made for the Southern Pacific and the Rio Grande by EMD in the 70's. They were designed so cool, fresh air from the floor of a tunnel entered the engine from the walkway instead of hot air and exhaust trapped at the roof of a tunnel entering the engine through its roof.

I like how the newest demo unit incorporates the green and yellow of the Brazilian flag in the paint scheme.

Last edited:
Bill, yes MRS has a lot of tunnels in its ore corridor. Some are big, like "Tunelao" with 8.640 meters long. But the worse one is Cabrito tunnel. It has 997 meters long, a big grade and just 8% of oxigen inside. This tunnel is the terror of the engineers. Some serious accidentes happened there. In the past the tunnels had wooden gates to help refrigerate the locomotives, but with the advent of GE AC44's, the gates were removed. But this tunnel proved to be a terror to EMD SD70ACe's. They failed when leading ore trains through it. That's why MRS refuse to buy SD70ACe from EMD. So EMD decided to modify a SD70 and build a SD80 with special air intake system to test with ore train through Cabrito tunnel and others ones along Ferrovia do Aço (we call it "FA" only).
Note that this modification is totally diferent from the tunnel motors in SP era. Those diesel engines had special devices to collect air to the radiator fans, not to the diesel engine as we see in this pair of Demonstrators produced to MRS.

Why the special air intake duct? Does the railroad have a lot of tunnels?

The special air intake duct reminds me of the old "tunnel motor" SD45's and SD40-2's made for the Southern Pacific and the Rio Grande by EMD in the 70's. They were designed so cool, fresh air from the floor of a tunnel entered the engine from the walkway instead of hot air and exhaust trapped at the roof of a tunnel entering the engine through its roof.

I like how the newest demo unit incorporates the green and yellow of the Brazilian flag in the paint scheme.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back