Relocation

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Whoie

Hi! I’m a female conductor in Michigan. I want to get a job in California. How does the hiring process work if you apply for a railroad position so far away?

For example...
How would they do the; interview, assessments, and physical??

Thanks for your help!

From the lack of response, I'd say nobody's sure.

When I was to be interviewed by a company in California, the company paid for round-trip airfare (coach, or tourist, whichever it's called now), and two nights at a lower mid-range hotel, so I could be interviewed and take a look at where I was to work. The physical was done by my local doctor before I went, and he transmitted the info to the company. Note this was not a railroad, so your experience may differ greatly.

From the lack of response, I'd say nobody's sure.

When I was to be interviewed by a company in California, the company paid for round-trip airfare (coach, or tourist, whichever it's called now), and two nights at a lower mid-range hotel, so I could be interviewed and take a look at where I was to work. The physical was done by my local doctor before I went, and he transmitted the info to the company. Note this was not a railroad, so your experience may differ greatly.

Thank you for your response even though your situation was different. It still gives me an idea of what could happen. I guess the only way to really find out is to apply and see what they say.

Thank you for your response even though your situation was different. It still gives me an idea of what could happen. I guess the only way to really find out is to apply and see what they say.
It's been "a while", I thought I'd check back, and see how it went.
So, how did it go?

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back