Regional Rail Express - 12: Brașov (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

To the previous part of the series:
Regional Rail Express - 11: Bușteni (50 p.)
http://www.railroadforums.com/forum/index.php?threads/regional-rail-express-11-bușteni-50-p.13925

Video for this part:

July 31 2018

Tuesday noon I arrived by Regio Călători R 16031 from Bușteni at Brașov central station.
heck1201.jpg

I checked into my room at Pension Bittner on Strada Nicolae Teclu near the station. The hosts are friendly, rooms cheap and nice - I can recommend it for a stay in the vicinity of the station away from the historic city center.
I returned to the station at half past two.
heck1202.jpg

I could take my time as IR 347 "Dacia" Vienna - Bucharest arrived at 2:56 p.m., one and a half hours late.
heck1203.jpg

But not too much time as the storm clouds approaching from the mountains indicated. Chips-ad defaced Softrans Hyperion high-speed EMU was ready to depart as IR 15932 Brașov - București Nord - Craiova.
heck1204.jpg

641 219 (ex 65-1219) carrying a faded Sibiu coat of arms shunted away from the train.
heck1205.jpg

410 009 took over.
heck1206.jpg

These grass mowing devices are quite popular in the region, I spotted them often along the trip. For the departure of "Dacia" see video at minute 23:20.
heck1207.jpg

Subsequently, I walked past the class 150 steamer to the supermarket at a nearby shopping mall and back to my room before the thunderstorm rain showers came. The past days I had gotten up at 3-4 a.m., so an afternoon to relax was welcome.
heck1208.jpg

August 1 2018

On the way to the station next morning before six.
heck1209.jpg

Lovingly decorated 400 734 of depot Ploiești.
heck1210.jpg

With tired, red headlight-eyes. First appearance of the crazy switcher to the right.
heck1211.jpg

heck1212.jpg

A Desiro DMU as R 2101 Brașov - Sibiu brought me punctually at 6:28 a.m. to Codlea (German: "Zeiden", Hungarian: "Feketehalom").
heck1213.jpg

I quickly walked to the northern end of town and climbed a hill grazed by sheep. IR 1928 Sibiu - Constanța hauled by an original Sulzer showed up punctually at 6:59 a.m.
heck1214.jpg

heck1215.jpg

The second cool morning after weeks of heat provided excellent misty moods over the mountains.
heck1216.jpg

A Desiro was approaching as R 2501 to Făgăraș.
heck1217.jpg

600 mm of the Lumix provided this view of Ghimbav/Weidenbach above.
heck1218.jpg

I sat down comfortably, ate some breakfast, only the occasional mushroom picker walked by. I moved down to the meadow for a change of scenery after 9 o'clock. IR 473 "Ister" Budapest - Bucharest approached half an hour late while a few raindrops were falling.
heck1219.jpg

heck1220.jpg

That's how the grass is kept short.
heck1221.jpg

I was positively surprised by the town of Codlea, several quite original streets of houses are preserved:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Codlea

heck1222.jpg

Main sight: the 13th century fortress church.
heck1223.jpg

heck1224.jpg

heck1225.jpg

The station was being kept neatly as well. I have never seen a safe in a waiting room before - it could be connected to the prison right next door...
heck1226.jpg

CFR Marfa 800 016 passed by with local freight.
heck1227.jpg

R 2506 Făgăraș - Brașov stopped here for 12 minutes as it met...
heck1228.jpg

... IR 1623 Bucharest - Sibiu hauled by 641 392.
heck1229.jpg

Enough time to film the departure of the "Jimmy" - modernized Sulzer with GM-EMD engine - and catch the train back to Brașov. A bus to "Vienna" to the right - actually just for workers of the local factory.
heck1230.jpg

Regio Călători R 16036 to Bucharest on track one at Brașov.
heck1231.jpg

heck1232.jpg

A Caravelle was conveyed at the rear of the train.
heck1233.jpg

Complete Caravelle color collection.
heck1234.jpg

Switcher on a mission.
heck1235.jpg

"Dacia" from Vienna arrived only 22 minutes delayed.
heck1236.jpg

I returned to the accommodation and fetched the backpack. Clouds looked dark again, and I did not want to risk getting into a shower unnecessarily.
heck1237.jpg

Astra Trans Carpatic IR 15532 to Bucharest consisting of the already known couchette car ready for boarding.
heck1238.jpg

heck1239.jpg

heck1240.jpg

The crazy switcher positioned the cars of R 3533 to Sighișoara just somewhere on the track.
heck1241.jpg

After completed tasks.
heck1242.jpg

Rainfall started punctually at 4:20 p.m.
heck1243.jpg

Regio Călători R 16341 accelerated towards Zărnești...
heck1244.jpg

... just as IR 346 "Dacia" Bucharest - Vienna arrived a minute early.
heck1245.jpg

Finally, the coke-can design fits perfectly.
heck1246.jpg

heck1247.jpg

heck1248.jpg

A female station master cleared the train a minute early.
heck1249.jpg

Finally, my ride: IR 01746 to Constanța. Next day would be cloudless - off to the Black Sea! :)
heck1250.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back