Rail served lumber yards/saw mills.

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Waterloo50

Hi folks,
Can anyone point me in the right direction please, I’m looking for decent photos and information on rural (off the beat and track) rail served lumber yards and saw mills, anything from the 1950s through to the modern era. I’m looking for images of the type of cars used, trucks that hauled timber and in particular photos of the types of saws used in the mills. I’d like to know how the timber was moved (unloaded) between the rail and the mill.
I’m fairly up to date with the types of equipment used in British saw mills as I spent many years working as a saw operator but I’d like to know how things are set up in the USA.

Kindest Regards.

Back in the 50's and 60's my grandfather collected a number of books about lumber and saw mills in the Pacific Northwest region of the US. Some of these books (or reprints) look like they might be available on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/This-Was-Sawmilling-Ralph-Andrews/dp/0887405940
https://www.amazon.com/Railroads-Wo...ds+in+the+woods&qid=1563042844&s=books&sr=1-1

An imaginative search of Amazon, eBay, etc may turn up more titles.
Thanks very much, I’ll definitely check those books out.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back