Question for the Forum: How many fallen flag railroads could have survived?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

EMDGP30

Was wondering how many railroads that are gone because of merger could have survived if the merger hadn't occurred?

For example, how long could the CB&Q, SLSF, SP&S, NP & GN have operated?

Many could have survived, and some could have thrived, if the operating environment of the time had been more business friendly.

As to recent mergers, I am fairly sure the BN and Santa Fe could have survived separately.

As to earlier mergers of the 60's and 70's, there is surviving and there is prospering. The pre BN roads probably could have survived (especially the NP and CB&Q after the Wyoming and Montana coal fields were opened), but would they have necessarily prospered?

Then there is that whole slew of roads that was acquired by the UP in the 80's.

I grew up with the former Texas & Pacific's Hollywood Yd within sight of my house; I was 13 when Missouri Pacific acquired them I believe in 1976.

Last edited:
As a kid I lived five years in Sikeston, MO (pronounced "Misery"). An east-west MoPac branch line ran through town as well as a north-south Frisco (St. Louis-Memphis ?) main line. From what I can tell by looking at satellite imagery, the MoPac branchline is gone and the former Frisco line is now BNSF and serves a large coal fired power plant west of town.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back