Nordkraft Nygård Kraftwerk

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

Last summer (2014) holiday I found this small industrial railway application belonging to the Nordkraft Nygård Kraftwerk, (a hydropower station) along the E6/E10 near Trældal just north of Narvik (Norway), well above the Arctic Circle. No big trains, not even a locomotive is sight nevertheless enjoy.

1: View of the whole installation
2: Detail of the track
3: The only rail bound vehicle
4: The “upper station”

Gijs

Attachments

• SPOOR-07775.jpg
    SPOOR-07775.jpg
    526.2 KB · Views: 204
  • SPOOR-07777.jpg
    SPOOR-07777.jpg
    533.6 KB · Views: 173
  • SPOOR-07780 .jpg
    SPOOR-07780 .jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 169
  • SPOOR-07781.jpg
    SPOOR-07781.jpg
    406.8 KB · Views: 185
Good find and thanks for sharing. I assume the purpose of the railroad is to inspect and repair the pipeline. Correct?

Bil,

I am not sure about its purpose, my best guess would be getting tools and spare parts up the incline. For carring people I think that the vehicle is to small. But frankly I have not seen it in operation. Although the rails is a bit rusty, the little vehicle appears to be in good if not excelent condition, so I assume it is still in use.

Gijs

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back