New and Old in and around Vienna (50 p.)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

ronik24

Proud Earthling
Hi,

We start a short overview of pictures I have edited from around Vienna this year.

More from the first months was already shown in this report:

Regional Rail Express - 59: Transilvania II (50 p.)

January 7 2023

On the first Saturday of the year, a couple of photographers gathered at picturesque Mannswörth - right next to Schwechat airport and refinery. CAT = City Airport Train.
neuw2301.jpg

Planes were landing on runway 11 approaching over the city due to easterly winds.
neuw2302.jpg

The first time I ever saw a go-around with Dreamliner SU-GEU from Cairo.
neuw2303.jpg

Regiojet 1033 Prague - Vienna main station - Vienna airport.
neuw2304.jpg

The Regiojet approaching the airport with StB (Steiermarkbahn - Styrian Railroad, former ÖBB engine) 1142.578 at the rear for a quick direction change. The Egyptair 787 also successfully landed on the second attempt.
neuw2305.jpg

I walked to a spot further ahead for Regiojet 1034 to Prague - that's the difference a three-car CAT made:

neuw2306.jpg

I returned to a spot at the curve one week later, StB 1216.960 was hauling the train.

March 4 2023

View from Arsenalsteg across the main station eastern yard and car loading tracks towards the Arsenal - you can also spot St. Stephen's Cathedral through the trees and Kahlenberg.
neuw2307.jpg

March 2 2023

Older E2 units on streetcar line D through brand new Sonnwendviertel city quarter where once the yard of the Southern/Eastern Station was located.
neuw2308.jpg

February 27 2023

Thanks to the visit of a friend from Munich, I managed to take a few pics of the main station during dusk from a Motel One room. REX 7753 Deutschkreutz - Bratislava-Petržalka arrived at 5:39 p.m.
neuw2309.jpg

A Siemens ULF of line D approaching through Canettistraße. Behind it the Swiss Garden near Belvedere palace, Sacred Heart church, Ernst Happel stadium in Prater, beyond the Danube new city quarter Berresgasse at Hirschstetten, Weinviertel hill country in the distance.
neuw2310.jpg

REX 2525 Bratislava hl. st. - Wien Hbf.
neuw2311.jpg

June 29 2023

ICE 93 Hamburg-Altona - Berlin - Wien (punctual) met ICE 20 Wien - Frankfurt (20 minutes delayed) at Wien Meidling.
How is this possible? If ICE trains already arrive at Vienna more than an hour delayed, the turnaround also takes longer than scheduled.
neuw2312.jpg

June 26 2023

You can only wait and drink mineral water.
neuw2313.jpg

D 724 operates Mo-Thu Vienna main station - St. Valentin.
neuw2314.jpg

Westbahn 989 Vöcklabruck - Vienna Western station arrived at St. Pölten Hbf.
neuw2315.jpg

I got off at Markersdorf an der Pielach - the last bit of the "old Western Railway" still used by practically all passenger trains. St. Pölten freight bypass opened in 2017 provides more capacity.
neuw2316.jpg

Railjet 746 Vienna airport - Salzburg Hbf.
neuw2317.jpg

From the Alps to the Baltic Sea by overnight "S-Bahn": IC 94 "Wienerwald" Wien Hbf - Rostock consisting of a Stadler KISS unit originally designed for Zürich suburban services. It had been purchased by DB from Westbahn and still is maintained at Vienna - that's why these strange connections are available to the public.
neuw2318.jpg

R 2025 Pöchlarn - St. Pölten.
neuw2319.jpg

For the first time ever in Vienna: a scheduled Nederlandse Spoorwegen engine hauled train - even if it is an ELL (European Locomotive Leasing) Siemens Vectron in NS colors, called "Flying Dutchman" by the company.
Hauling Nightjet 40490 to Amsterdam three times a week when there is no train part going to Brussels, the rear cars form NJ 490 to Hamburg:

NS 193 759 @ 8:19 p.m. & 100 mph.
neuw2320.jpg

Nightjet 468 to Paris following ten minutes later.
neuw2321.jpg

I quickly walked to the other side of the tracks. IC 1019 "Salzkammergut" Stainach-Irdning - Wien at 8:41 p.m.
neuw2322.jpg

Westbahn 929 Salzburg Hbf - Wien West.
neuw2323.jpg

June 18 2023

I spent the weekend at my old home in Vienna Mauer. Despite less traffic, I went on a walk early Sunday morning. Modern times have arrived on my line 60: an Alstom Flexity Vienna unit at 6:28 a.m. departing Maurer Lange Gasse station.
neuw2324.jpg

The bridge across Breitenfurter Straße viewed from the stop of same name.
neuw2325.jpg

Across Liesing river from the other direction, one of the Kaltenleutgeben quarries in the background.
neuw2326.jpg

I had reached my old mainline station Wien Atzgersdorf (previously Atzgersdorf-Mauer) by 7:50 a.m.
SBB dome cars have returned to Vienna: colorful EC 104 "Porta Moravica" Graz - Przemyśl (in Poland near the Ukrainian border) conveys cars from "Transalpin" Zürich - Graz. You can travel in it across Semmering pass during daylight on summer mornings and evenings, otherwise the line is flat.
neuw2327.jpg

June 29 2023

EC 105 "Porta Moravica" Przemyśl - Graz on the Stadlau Eastern Railroad Bridge (just called "the bridge" by Vienna rail enthusiasts).
An Emirates Boeing 777-300 just had lowered its gear on flight EK 125 Dubai – Vienna (not exactly the same moment).
neuw2328.jpg

Regiojet 1037 crossed the New Danube punctually at 8:09 p.m., swimmers cooling off on a hot day packed their bags to leave.
neuw2329.jpg

Swans are common there; a class 1144 with short local freight.
neuw2330.jpg

Inserted into an iPhone panoramic image.
neuw2331.jpg

I waited for the sunset to the music of Bayram barbecue parties along the shore.
neuw2332.jpg

Regiojet 1036 Budapest-Déli - Prague was announced with a three-hour delay. That is the problem when you are travelling with a private company lacking the resources of a (former) state railroad – once something goes wrong, you might be stuck for a while.
Was it about to make it until sundown at 8:58? Well, Regiojet 1036 about 3:15 h delayed at 8:59...
neuw2333.jpg

neuw2334.jpg

June 19 2023

Evening visit to newly rebuilt Schnellbahn station Matzleinsdorfer Platz.
neuw2335.jpg

Nightjet 40490 Wien Hbf - Amsterdam Centraal / NJ 490 - Hamburg-Altona switching backwards from Matzleinsdorf yard to the main station at 7:19 p.m.
neuw2336.jpg

neuw2337.jpg

You can spot the new ÖBB platform displays.
neuw2338.jpg

March 2 2023

The stations of the underground streetcar lines below have not changed much since the 1960s. One of the narrowest escalators in Vienna at Kliebergasse.
neuw2339.jpg

Busy Kliebergasse junction.
neuw2340.jpg

A brand new WLB (Vienna Local Railways, Baden – Wiener Neudorf - Vienna Opera) Flexity unit, #507.
neuw2341.jpg

neuw2342.jpg

neuw2343.jpg

E2 4017 (SGP Simmering / built in 1978) and trailer car c5 1417 (Bombardier Vienna / 1978) on line 1 towards Prater Hauptallee.
neuw2344.jpg

Sunrays reaching the tracks on some evenings.
neuw2345.jpg

Two WLB 500 units in front of Meidling station.
neuw2346.jpg

June 22 2023

REX 7153 "Burgenland Sprinter" Vienna Meidling - Deutschkreutz / REX 2759 – Friedberg split at Wiener Neustadt meeting a fitting tandem bike at Theresienfeld.
neuw2347.jpg

IC 830 Villach - Vienna at 8:11 p.m.
neuw2348.jpg

EC 105 to Graz moving fast slightly delayed at 8:26 p.m.
neuw2349.jpg

July 23 2023

EC 105 "Porta Moravica" with the first mountain views after a journey of nine hours from the Ukrainian border.
neuw2350.jpg

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back