Milwaukee road trestle in Tacoma.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Is there any information or plans relating to that huge, ex Milwaukee road, wood trestle in Tacoma that ends at Freight house square. I would like to model that bridge for a layout but I don't have any information.

Tacoma Milwaukee RR Trestle

Is there any information or plans relating to that huge, ex Milwaukee road, wood trestle in Tacoma that ends at Freight house square. I would like to model that bridge for a layout but I don't have any information.
Contact Russell Holter at the Washington Dept of Archaeology and Historic Preservation. russell.holter@dahp.wa.gov. He co-authored a book on the Tacoma Eastern and is one of the better historical resources for the line, including that trestle.

pedrop

A Railfan in Brazil
I was in Tacoma last year and I do not remember about the Milwaukee bridge. Is it possible to have a picture of it here?

I was in Tacoma last year and I do not remember about the Milwaukee bridge. Is it possible to have a picture of it here?
The trestle is not particularly scenic, there are lots of buildings in the way of most viewpoints of the trestle. But here is a shot that shows some of the trestle, and also locates it, with the Freighthouse Square Station in the background. (not my photo.)

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=150890&nseq=5

And this one is by Bob Harbison, our railroadforums.com host!
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=287013

Last edited by a moderator:

Sinamox

loading...please wait.
If you don't find everything you need or have additional requests for detail photos or measurements I could acquire some for you. Do your research first. If need be, I can be there in ten minutes with a laser rangefinder, etc. In addition to the historical reference material, I would suggest WSDOT Railbranch. They may have some detailed info on the bridge as part of the Soundtransit work.

Great photographs guys! Here is some from my collection.

Believe it or not, I believe there is over 120 support pillars. I don't live in Tacoma any more but the last time I was there someone numbered each pillar in chalk starting with the first one and ending at the last one.

That trestle is also unique because of the curve in the middle of it. I can't say I have seen another trestle built like that one.

I thought when Sounder took over they would have filled most of in with dirt. I am also surprised that it still has section track.

Last edited by a moderator:

East Of Easton

Wester Than Lester
It also carried the final leg of the Olympian Hiawatha, prior to the mid-50's, to the old Tacoma Eastern depot just past Freighthouse Square. There are some great pictures out there of Manic Depressive EP-2 electrics crossing that trestle.

Here's a little diddy I wrote up for a photo, talking it all over...

Look! Look! Look, at my picture!:eek:

p51

Marty, it runs on steam!
It's not the best contrast, but I got this shot of RDG 2100 going over the span that has the markings on it. So odd to know this bridge hasn't changed hardly at all in so long. Such a Twilight Zone experience seeing this train going over it, too. I'm glad I rode it once and chased it twice...

Here is one from the Frt House Square end in 2001. I was with one of the crew from Mount Rainier Scenic and we walked down to the end of the trestle to take a pic of CCC 15.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com