Merging hobbies

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

I recently started learning to fly RC planes, but have been a model railroader and photographer for years. So of course, I had to attach a small digital cam to one of my planes and try some aerial photography.

Here is a short hop as a container train was passing through town. My take off and landing site was not ideal, but I got it down in one piece.

http://vimeo.com/31584973

As my flying improves, I plan to put a better quality cams on a more stable plane.

Jim

Sounds like fun.

I have a good friend who did that last year. Attached his Canon Elph camera to a plane. Here is a link to one of his test videos. (he has some non-aerial RR videos also)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oq04Qk0DXE&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

He has not made a flight over the yards yet, but I'm sure next spring that will be something to try.

Cool stuff.
Small world, I am flying a Hobbyzone Super Cub also, and I have watched most of your friends videos on how to upgrade the plane. It is a simple plane to fly and work on. It is also durable and with an upgraded power system, capable of handling the extra load of a small camera mounted under the wing.

I used an 808 #11 keychain cam for my video. It is not a high quality camera, but I wanted something lightweight and inexpensive to learn with.

Here are some screen shots from videos taken with this plane and camera.

Thanks
Jim

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com