Métro and Trams in Southern France (with pics)

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

kcp

Bonjour,

in 2015 I have spent a week in Marseille to visit the city and do some trips to other cities in southern France. Aside from a lot of sightseeing, I managed to catch some tram and railway pictures. I will start my report in Marseille. After arriving in Marseille I bought a 72h tram-bus-metro pass, dropped my bags in the hotel and started the (metro) sightseeing trip.

Rubber-Métro

The Métro network consists of two lines (m1 and m2). It went into service in 1977. The trains run on rubber tyres.

A train in "my" station "Joliette", which was located a 5min walk from my hotel.
m2_rame_joliette6iye0.jpg

The interieur design is more functional and vandalism-resistent than actually beautiful
m_interieurrubyz.jpg

The overpass at "Castellane" station of line m2 offers a nice view down unto the tracks
m2_castellane1abxn1.jpg

A picture takes from the steps down to the platform.
m2_castellane2v1y0c.jpg

This train will terminate here and return outbound, because servicse through downtown were suspended due to a suicide attempt. The annoucements put the information in some nicer words: "Suite d'un incident independent de notre volonté ..." / "Due to an incident beyond our control...."). Very tourist-friendly (and pretty uncommon in France): The announcements were in Frensh and English. Simliar to announcements at SNCF rail stations, they began with a jingle.

On the outskirts of Marseille, the Métro runs overground section. After leaving "Bougainville" this train of line m1 runs down the ramp and heads towards downtown.
m2_ramp_bougainville71zyn.jpg

Impressions from my favourite overground section in the vicinity of "Malpassé" station
m1_malpasse19ob1o.jpg

m1_malpasse2vmlbd.jpg

m1_malpasse4cpxu5.jpg

m1_malpasse30qz48.jpg

From an architectural point of view, most (old) stations were pretty unimpressive and relatively dark. But decide for yourself: Joliette station.
m2_joliettezhzd0.jpg

In contrast station "Blancarde": newer, brighter and a lot more spacious
m2_la_blancardeiaa9y.jpg

Some stations were decorated with artwork. As "Joliette" is located in the old port quarter, now revitalized as the "Euromediteranée" quarter, the artwork pays reference to its ship heritage
m2_art_jolietteqhxhc.jpg

Stone mosaics and light art in "Vieux Port" station
m1_art_vieuxportbdypd.jpg

A reflection on the "real" trains running above: Artwork of a TGV in "St Charles" station
m_art_tgv_st_charleslwsbz.jpg

A peak into the Métro tunnel at "Vieux Port"
m1_tunnel_vieuxportrbyq3.jpg

The stairs at "La Fourragère" reminded me, that some stations are pretty deep below the surface
m2_la_four_escalier9ylfu.jpg

Enough about the métro. The tram is next.

Tram

The tram network has two lines. A third one was in testing when I was there. It is supposed to enter revenue service end of May. The trams have a unique design. In the beginning I was a bit skeptical, but in retrospect I liked it. Looks much better in reality than in pictures ;-).
t2_euromed3tsp0.jpg

"Noailles" (T1) station is the only one below the surface. A single track tunnel connects it to the next station "Eugène Pierre" (The tunnel is a remainder of Marseilles old tram network).
t1_noailles61aqc.jpg

The tram has left "Eugène Pierre" and runs into the tunnel heading to "Noailles"
t1_descentegdb5j.jpg

The tram returns ;-)
t1_remonte5tyoy.jpg

Sharp contrast to the special design of the trams: The station have a no frills look and feel.
t_arretpbs8s.jpg

A look inside the tram. The seats are hard as hell and the back forces you to sit straight. Tinted windows in combination with blinds protect from direct sun light.
t_interieur11sd4.jpg

T2 approaching its terminus "Arenc Le Silo"
t2_approche_silogvx7v.jpg

Just ouside my hotel: The T2 in the "Euromediteranée" quarter
t2_soleilsssp7.jpg

Looked really nice after dark
t_nuit7ps7m.jpg

t_nuit20dst6.jpg

T2 makes a turn in front of "Palais Longchamps" and heads to "La Blancarde"
t2_longchamps4os1n.jpg

The "Palais Longchamps". Children were bathing in the basin of the fountain. I cannot blame them, because the temperature rose to 26°C that day.
r_longchampsjflbm.jpg

Tram running along the Boulevard Longchamp
t2_vertpise1.jpg

Nice paint job ;-)
t2_graffitijsspo.jpg

"real" Rail

A mixed bouquet of pictures taken in St Charles, Marseilles main station.

I really, really, really like the design of the class BB 22200 locomotives
train_locop0s6e.jpg

It shows its beauty next to a TGV
train_loco_tgvpussd.jpg

Train quartett: TGV, BB 22200, AVE and diesel power
train_4ercgsz1.jpg

Lowcost meets International: Ouigo to Marne la Vallée and the AVE to Madrid side by side
train_st_charles_ave_k0snh.jpg

Since May 2015 a regular guest in Marseille: The Eurostar. It offers a direct connection from London to the South of France.
train_eurostarbcs23.jpg

The facade of St. Charles
train_st_charles1kishf.jpg

Trees in the station hall
train_st_charles_nuitltsrs.jpg

The stairs down to Boulevard Nédelec
train_st_charles_esca64sz8.jpg

Testing, 123, Testing ;-)
train_testtest4hscw.jpg

Sighseeing

I want to wrap this up, with some sightseeing pictures. It presides over the city: The church "Notre Dame de la garde"
r_port_ndgrhau9.jpg

The inside is worth a visit too.
r_ndg_vue_int9wbuk.jpg

The square in front of the church offers a great view over the city of Marseille. The old port
r_ndg_vue_port6fy1j.jpg

A landmark: The stadium
r_ndg_vue_stadegdxj5.jpg

The sea
r_ndg_vue_meryrae3.jpg

The bus ride to the church is an adventure: A little bus runs along small, winding roads. As it is crowed as a box of sardines, no need to hold on ;-).

An eyecatcher by day and by night: The Mucem.
r_mucem_nuittay8a.jpg

r_mucem_nuit20uzur.jpg

Right next door: The "Villa Méditerranée"
r_villalfz0l.jpg

The cathedral "La Major" and the triangle-shaped "Musée Regards de Provence"
r_la_major6napj.jpg

The "Major" at night
r_la_major_nuitzga9e.jpg

Art in the "Euromediterranée"-Viertel. Title: "It takes two to tango".
r_tangop9xmc.jpg

Mirror art at the exit of Métro "Vieux Port"
r_port_artylxm8.jpg

Whenever I see these, I cannot believe that these things still exist in France
r_wcrslem.jpg

Nice to look at: The court building ("Palais de Justice")
r_palais_djrzy75.jpg

A three-master for the rich
r_port_3master22aq7.jpg

A have to quote Monty Python on this: "This is an Ex-Parrot". The zoo of Marseille closed in the 80s. A few years ago, the cages were "revitalized" with models of animals in flashy colours
r_parrotx1zle.jpg

My favourite: The Crocodile
crocoo2ub7.jpg

This concludes my little report about Marseille. I really liked the city and can highly recommend to go there to visit. More to come.

For part two I have compiled mixed pictures from trips to Aubagne and Avignon.

Tram d'Aubagne

Depending on which train you take, Aubagne is 15-25min train ride away from Marseille. Since September 2014 a tram running there again. The network consists of one line. A ride end to end takes about 10min, trams are running with 10min headways. Like riding the busses in Aubagne, riding the tram is free of charge.
I stumpled upon the Tram d'Aubagne by accident, when I was browsing http://carto.metro.free.fr/. This page is really helpful, if you want to plan tram or métro sightseeing in France (and some other countries in Europe and abroad).

The trains are pretty colourful. Tram at terminus Aubagne station
t_au_garebar6c.jpg

On the inside, red is the dominating colour
t_au_interieur7dqv7.jpg

Tram approaching Aubagne station
t_au_gare21sojq.jpg

The terminus on the other end of the line is "Le Charrel"
t_au_charrelflrir.jpg

Station design
t_au_arretgtqgt.jpg

More trams taking a sun bath in the maintenance yard next to "Piscine" station
t_au_bhof5wpi5.jpg

One half of the line is running on rails in a concrete bed. The other half, runs over red gravel
t_au_schotterpiste46mrmw.jpg

t_au_schotterpiste3pcol8.jpg

t_au_schotterpiste2laqpl.jpg

t_au_schotterpisteihr5f.jpg

Trams passing each other in front of the church
t_au_tram_egliseubpn4.jpg

My take on the Augabne tram: small, but quite exquist. I am curious how it will turn out in the future. Further expansions of the network were planned, but have been shelved after the local elections.

Avignon TGV

I used the TGV to make the half-hour trip to Avignon TGV station. From there, you can hop on a TER train, which takes you to Avignon Centre in less than 10min.

The two sides of the station have different designs
av_tgv_ext2vwov0.jpg

av_tgv_ext1qpryx.jpg

A northbound TGV is approaching
av_tgv_approchertriv.jpg

Impressions from station hall
av_tgv_int1ujrst.jpg

av_tgv_int27fquz.jpg

av_tgv_int3rro0u.jpg

av_tgv_int46pry8.jpg

The platform for northbound trains
av_tgv_quaio4qci.jpg

View from the southbound platform to the station hall building.
av_aa_doisj7uyg.jpg

Nice gimick: Were is my train at the moment
av_tgv_mon_traint8pfw.jpg

A different type of intermediate stop ;-).
av_tgv_monitor1aq6z.jpg

Train 9725 is mine: An AVE. A look into a 2nd class coach
av_tgv_ave_2eouqgv.jpg

A few days before, I used the AVEs 1st class. The leather seats were a lot classier than the ones in 2nd class.
av_tgv_ave2ovq3u.jpg

Sunset over the high speed rail line
av_tgv_couche_soleila1ot5.jpg

av_tgv_orangeyvouo.jpg

Since I was in Avignon works on a tram network have started. The first line will be put into service in 2020.

Avignon Sightseeing

Avignon offers a lot of sights to see. First among them: The papal palace.
av_palais_papebiqo4.jpg

And of course: "the bridge" (You may start singing now ;-)).
av_le_pontkyr24.jpg

Great peace of architecture: The opera house.
av_operae6pwd.jpg

Massive and impossible to overlook: the surrounding wall.
av_aa_mur7juke.jpg

Really worth the 20min walk: The gardens of "Abbaye Saint André" in neighbouring "Villeneuve-lès-Avignon". They offer a great view of Avignons "Rocher des Doms" with the papal palace and the cathedral (and around the town square there were several nice bistros with reasonable prices, where I enjoyed my lunch).
av_vue_palaisfxrnd.jpg

I would like such a little house on the hill (but I guess its a bit above my paygrade)
av_maisonlpqhq.jpg

These barrels made me smile.
av_tonnenl7r6a.jpg

Thats it for part 2.

for part three some mixed pictures from Nice and Aix-en-Provence

Gare Nice-Ville
A trip from Marseille to Nice takes about 2,5 hours. If you take a TGV or a TER train makes a difference of only a few minutes. I prefered the comfort of the 1st class in a TGV to a TER. The journey was nice, because the line runs close to the shore line most of the time. So there was a lot to see.

Impressions from Nice-Ville station
train_gare1zujro.jpg

train_gare4qvkpp.jpg

train_gare285kvs.jpg

train_gare59tk19.jpg

The facade
train_gare34lk3e.jpg

Tram Nice

Tram stop "Gare Thiers" is a 5min walk away from the station. The tram network consists of one line (further expansions are planned). A tram approaching terminus "Henri Sappia"
t_henrio5j7s.jpg

The station is located under a parking garage. The maintenance yard is close by. This tram will head to "Hotel Pasteur" in a few minutes
r_arch1n1jxs.jpg

In the city centre, there are sections without catenary. I have seen two catenary-free sections (Masséna to Opéra and Cathedrale to Garibaldi), but there might be more. As I only had about 6 hours in Nice and wanted to do some sight seeing, I did not ride along the full length of the line. The trams run on battery power in these sections. This made for some nice, catenary-free pictures.

Some pictures taken between Masséma and Opéra stops. In combination with the great architecture around, this was a perfect setting (apart from the "pole-sitting" artwork, which I did not like that much).
t_mass43oj83.jpg

t_mass6nvkjn.jpg

a_mass2aqb6.jpg

A welcome place to cool down (it was 27° hot that day): A dust of water
r_fraiche2vfju6.jpg

Always great to look at: Tram on gras
t_mass18bkrk.jpg

t_mass2qoj4b.jpg

t_mass50wkl7.jpg

Chemin de Fer de Provence

A quick jump to the "Chemin de Fer de Provence" that links Nice to Digne-les-Bains. The station was unmipressive...
r_prov_garezzj2l.jpg

...but the rolling stock inside, was worth seeing. Choose your favourite: old
r_prov120k68.jpg

or modern
r_prov2emjcn.jpg

The old CFP-station "Gare de Sud" is a fantastic piece of architecture
r_gare_sud7okzj.jpg

Sight seeing
A reminder of Nices past as part of Italy: The buildings surrounding the square in front of the cathedral
r_maisonsck8c.jpg

A must do in my book: Climbing up the hill near old town. The reward for the hike is a great view
r_vue24pkay.jpg

Two zoom tests for my camera, that turned out better than expected: An airplan that just has taken of from the airport...
r_avionxjka5.jpg

...and a tram near "Masséna"
t_zoom2b4kte.jpg

I will wrap up, Nice here. Apart from a sunburn that I got, this was a succesful trip to a charming city. Next stop: Aix-en-Provence

Aix-en-Provence

For a city that has 150K inhabitants, the station of Aix-en-Provence is very calm (Note: The TER on the right with the Pays-de-la-Loire paint job is a long way from home).
garen2qcv.jpg

The station may be small, but it has a piano.
pianob0pxa.jpg

In contrast, the TGV station "Aix-en-Provence TGV" is very busy and an architectural highlight (especially the roof)
dachwyrcq.jpg

dach25fpza.jpg

The other side
dach4hxrem.jpg

dach337ps5.jpg

Let's take a peak inside
hallerxoot.jpg

A look from the overpass between the platforms. On the right, the AVE I took from Marseille to get here
dach5ruq2y.jpg

A look from the southbound platform on the overpass and an Ouigo TGV
ouigo4coo29.jpg

A TGV passes the station on the through tracks without stopping
tgv61sqd.jpg

A TGV, the roof, the blue sky and some postcard clouds: The motive cannot get any better.
dtgv3blpwe.jpg

Aix is a very green city. Platanus wherever you look.
platanen4dshb.jpg

The tower of the cathedral tops the surrounding buildings
cath2lvomq.jpg

cathmpoo1.jpg

The cathedral had some great windows. Like this one
vitreews0v.jpg

As it was Ascension day, I went to mass. The collection was for renewing the audio system. The priest encouraged people to give generously, with an anecdote, that took place a few weeks ago: The bishop had started the mass with the traditional "In the name of father....". When he recognized that the audio was not working and said something like "We seem to have problem with the audio" and the parish responded "And with your spirit.", because they had expected him to say "The Lord be with you". This is how we Catholics are: No need to listen, because we know the drill ;-).
I am always surprised how catholic the Frensh are: In 10 days in France I used more Latin in mass, than in a whole year in Germany.

Want to take a stroll through the past of Aixes most famous son? Feel free...
cezannespo8s.jpg

From a distance, I thought this to be the tourist information. But it turned out to be a shop for fruit that someone had taken a bite of ;-).
applersq7b.jpg

Honestly, considering the praise it got in my guide book, I found Aix a bit disappointing. I liked the TGV station better than the city. But thats just my point of view.

Here ends part three of my trip to southern France. One more coming up.

the final installment of my trip report features Montpellier, Nîmes und Arles.

Gare St Roch

The platforms of Gare St Roch were dark and not vrey welcoming. The station building above proved to be a bright and ice to look at.
gare1rupf9.jpg

gare22xq0y.jpg

Tram de Montpellier

The tram network consists of 4 lines, with very colourful rolling stock. As all lines pass by the station, there is quite an amount of tracks and switches in the area to connect the tram line coming from four different directions
t_gareiprxi.jpg

t_gare2pdq5b.jpg

Line 3 and 4 (gold) meet at the station
t_gold_bunt92ryo.jpg

A tam of line 4 has just left "Corum" station
t_gold_kurvebkoa2.jpg

Same spot, a few minutes later: Line 1 passes by.
t_blau_kurveazo7y.jpg

My favourite spot: The approach of line 2 to "Corum". A curve of almost 180° and a colourful tram - Could it get any better?
t_bunt_kurve8ypsq.jpg

The signs at the stop pay witness to the paint jobs of the rolling stock. Signs for all three lines that call at "Corum"
t_sign1hfqby.jpg

t_sign3uwr90.jpg

t_sign200rzw.jpg

Short break for a tram of line 4 in the tail tracks near "Place Albert 1er" station
t_gold_endemnotc.jpg

Tram 1 heading to "Albert 1er"
t_blau_kurve2oto45.jpg

A pity, that I could catch "Blackbeauty" only once
t_blackq4r49.jpg

Between "Corum" and "Comédie" there is a shot tunnel section. A tram of linie 2 emerging from the tunnel
t_bunt_rampeo4pi8.jpg

Line 2 between "St Roch" station and "Comédie"
t_bunt_comediehkpu6.jpg

Nice mix of dark tones and color: Trams of linie 3
r_black18rplg.jpg

A network expansion is underway. Works are being done near the botanical garden
t_ext23kpd8.jpg

t_ext17ep5u.jpg

Even in a set of colourful trams, there is one thats sticks out: A tram with advertising for the "Métropole French Tech" project
t_exot24q5e.jpg

Between the station and "Antigone" the tracks embedded in neither concrete nor gras, but in wood. Biker liked to spped down this ramp
t_blau_antugru3.jpg

Some kids on their BMX bikes just jumped over the "car stop" at the end of the ramp
t_autostop9vo4q.jpg

I liked the mix of tram and catenary
t_blau_oleitlno3g.jpg

T3 meets TER
t_kreuzungkrofi.jpg

Sightseeing

The architecture in the Antigone quarter took some time getting used to
r_antigone1ikrx0.jpg

In front of the administration-building of the Region a festival of extreme-sports took place. It included water-skiing
r_ski1xdpq9.jpg

Just one word: Wow. Rose in St. Pierre cathedral
r_rosette5rq3s.jpg

Monty Python once again: And what have the Romans ever given us? The aqueduct. "Aqueduc Saint Clement" (it was not build by the Romans, it dates back to the 18th century) and "Chateau d'eau"
r_aqueh4r6x.jpg

r_tour97qvx.jpg

Nîmes und Arles

If you like following Roman history and architecture, I can recommend a trip to Nîmes and Arles. I went there by Intercité train
teozrfp30.jpg

Below the tracks of Nîmes station
ni_garepjoh8.jpg

In both towns, there are hugh Roman arenas that are well preserved. Until this day they are used for events. In contrast to the colloseum in Rome, you can wander around freely and climb up and down the tiers. Arena in Nîmes
ni_arena13rj4.jpg

ni_arena2iyohz.jpg

Modern architecture just outside the arena
ni_moderngyprk.jpg

The "Maison Carré" is an old temple. Nowadays, a film about the history of Nîmes is shown there
ni_maisonmarbx.jpg

View from "Tour Magne" unto Nîmes. The arena is not that prominent. It is located at the end of the green band that starts at the white building (this is a museum designed by Norman Foster)
ni_vuefsopy.jpg

In Arles station, you cannot get unto the center platform. If need be, the door will be opened 10min prior to departure
ar_mittelbahnsteig0ip8p.jpg

While I wait for my delayed Intercité back to Marseille: A snapshot of a TER train in the eveninng dusk.
ar_ter3dp8d.jpg

Here ends the last report of my trip to southern France. Great place for a vacation: There is a lot to see and the weather is nice too :).

Looking forward to your feedback.

Adieu
Charly

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back