Looking for a good budget point-and-shoot

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

April

Reality escapee
I have an event happening this weekend and my point-and-shoot camera has just given up the ghost.

I really do not use a camera that often plus my budget for such a luxury is tight but I could really use some recommendations on any decent ones under $75. If possible, specific brands and models. One thing though, it should have decent capabilities when shooting indoors. There will be a party going on and I want some nice pics.

:D

Thanks in advance.

April

RRShutterbug

The Railroad Shutterbug
It's going to be hard to get quality for under $100. THe Nikons are decent, but for a decent quality one, you're looking at closer to $150-200. I personally recommend a Sony or Panasonic brand. The electronics companies seem to have better quality in the point and shoot line where Nikon & Canon do better in the DSLR lines.

Just my 2 cents worth.

It's going to be hard to get quality for under $100. THe Nikons are decent, but for a decent quality one, you're looking at closer to $150-200. I personally recommend a Sony or Panasonic brand. The electronics companies seem to have better quality in the point and shoot line where Nikon & Canon do better in the DSLR lines.

Just my 2 cents worth.
I too found myself in the market for a good point and shoot. And after reading a whole load of reviews on diff brands models, what you are saying is true. I now find my self in the near future buying a Panasonic Lumix.

Eastern Railfan

Ferroequineologist
Like Brian said, that price is going to limit the quality. This will particularly effect performance in the realm of low-light as lower end cameras tend to be more noisy in that area.

If you absolutely can't spend above that price though, a friend of mine has this camera:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/673447-REG/Olympus_227475.html

He's had pretty good results with it. Low-light tends to be a bit on the noisy side, but again at that price range you are going to get what you pay for.

Jackrabbit

Preserving "America's RR"
I have been using a Canon A650 for some time now. It uses regular AA batteries so you can replenish it without having to wait for recharge. It also has a shutter priority and aperture priority modes that allow it to be manipulated much like the higher-end cameras. The lens and photo quality are good as well. If you see my posts, most of them are with that camera as I currently don't have a slide scanner. There is also optional lenses and a waterproof case available for it. They are not being sold new anymore but you may be able to find a used one in your price range.

cthart

Canon Powershot cameras are very good, you might be able to find one in your price range, such as the discontinued A480 or the new A495.

I've been using an A720IS myself for a while now and plan on supplementing it with a DSLR (probably a new Nikon D3100) -- not replacing it!

kenw

5th Generation Texian
A used Canon A630 is around that $$ range now, wife has one and it is a really good camera. Has optical finder, uses 2xAA.

I don't yet know how good (or mediocre) it may be, but I had to buy a replacement for my ancient cellphone and got a LG840G cameraphone. Since it'll almost always be on my belt, maybe I can start taking a few more photographs when I'm out and about. Much as I would like a really good digital camera, the budget is still too tight for a quality camera I wouldn't be using frequently.

For the low cost, it's surprisingly powerful and versatile. I can only imagine what the $600 and up smartphones must be like... Even Captain Kirk's belt communicator wasn't as nifty as these gadgets!

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com