Is the railroad industry dying in the United States?

Railroadforums.com is a free online Railroad Discussion Forum and Railroad Photo Gallery for railroaders, railfans, model railroaders and anyone else who is interested in railroads. We cover a wide variety of topics, including freight trains, passenger and commuter railroads, rail news and information, tourist railroads, railway museums and railroad history.

johnbush

All types of railroad, both passenger and freight. I read on some railroad forum Amtrak is not profitable at all and is seeing sharp declines and there is no such thing as a profitable railroad in the United States(I don't know if this is actually true or these guys are clueless). I ride Amtrak all the time and I would hate to see them disappear, intercity rail is my preferred method of travel.
Slim Select Keto
It just leaves me very curious because I love railroads and the male side of my family has either been in the military or worked for the railroad for generations, I'd hate to see them fade away into history.

Last edited:
I think it is generally acknowledged that Amtrak does not pay for itself and relies on government subsidies to continue functioning .

I am not an accountant or economist, but I think I can safely say that far as freight railroads, one would have to look at each railroad to see whether or not it turns a profit. I would not rely on just one generalized statement in a railroad forum but would research the topic further if it interests you. Trains magazine is one source of information.

In a word, it's hardly dying. In the west, BNSF and UP are both doing quite well and turning decent profits. I suspect that each of the class I railroads are doing well. That being said, there are likely short lines in trouble, as always.
Amtrak wasn't ever set up as a money making enterprise. It is and was intended to save at least a portion of passenger rail. Once the mail contracts were gone, the big roads couldn't get rid of the mail (passenger) service fast enough. Remember that passenger trains, especially long haul, are very expensive to operate. My own feeling is that Amtrak's main problem, aside from the penury and entertainment in the other Washington, is it doesn't operate enough trains, nor does it have a reliable record of being on time, at least out of the eastern corridor, parts of California, and the Vancouver-Seattle-Portland arena. In order to succeed, they need greatly increased funding and a rule giving them highest priority nationwide on the track they operate over. Bottom line is that Amtrak is one of those necessary things that the federal government must be funding to level where people will utilize it.

RailroadForums.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com

RailroadBookstore.com - An online railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used railroad books. Railroad pictorials, railroad history, steam locomotives, passenger trains, modern railroading. Hundreds of titles available, most at discount prices! We also have a video and children's book section.

ModelRailroadBookstore.com - An online model railroad bookstore featuring a curated selection of new and used books. Layout design, track plans, scenery and structure building, wiring, DCC, Tinplate, Toy Trains, Price Guides and more.

Affiliate Disclosure: We may receive a commision from some of the links and ads shown on this website (Learn More Here)

Back